Request assistance: VBA Code to create a drop down menu in a particular cell of a sheet using sheet names in the workbook, and based on pick taking da

Cynez

Ok, so I have been browsing the site for several days and haven't found anything that really addressed my situation so decided to make an account and ask my question. Also I'm not sure if my entire post title is visible so I'll go into as much detail as necessary below to explain my situation.

I am working on a side project in excel to compile a vast amount of data. To do this in a highly organized fashion, I will need to create over 100 sheets. This compilation is for doing number crunching on character stats in a computer video game. While some of you may not approve of the reason, I will appreciate your help regardless. Not being proficient in VBA and its use in Excel, your help is priceless and highly appreciated by an amateur coder.

Setup: I am using Microsoft Excel 2010/2011 depending on my location on Windows 7.

Detailed Plan: My current goal is to create a single focal point for all of the inputs on the first sheet. This page allows you to select the character from a drop down menu in one cell (most of the following sheets will be the name of a character), the cell below lets you input the numerical level of your character (some stats change depending on this), then the next 6 cells will have a dropdown menu in each that allow you to select items for that character (there is a single sheet dedicated to the items names and stats). Finally, a few columns to the right, I want to display the stats based on the chosen character, level, and items. This would require computations to be done using 2 sheets of data chosen from the drop down menus, so I assume these would be done on a seperate sheet and transferred to the front sheet, or just done by the front sheet.

Up to this point in time, I have not been able to even create the character drop down menu that allows you to select sheet names. I have gotten a macro that allows you to choose but nothing that is immediately displayed on the very first sheet upon opening.

Goal: My goal is to have all of these drop down menus visible upon enabling macros, not requiring me to go find them.

Any guidance, assistance, links, or crushing realities to my project are all appreciated.

tl;dr Want to create an interactive database with menus on the first sheet, computes data from several sheets, and displays this data back on the first sheet in predetermined cells based on the choices of the menus.

For those interested, the game this is for is League of Legends. It is an attempt to do theory crafting in a highly efficient manner that allows me to continue using the workbook even after aspects of the game change and new characters are introduced.

Thanks again. Cheers ~Cynez

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Hi and welcome to the forum!

I'm always ready to help with things games related :)

Doing something like this it is always great to work with some of the data (as long as you are ok with me having it). I was thinking if you email over a sample of the data that you've got currently I can do a little work on it and email you back with something that should work.
If you PM me I'll reply with my email address.

Upvote 0
If anyone is reading this thread for a similar project or as an example, I will update as progress is made. Have begun communication with AD_Taylor and I'm hoping he'll be able to give me the advice necessary to make this project happen. Updates to follow.

Cheers

Upvote 0
With help from AD_Taylor, I have been able to create a workbook to do some of the basic calculations based on choices in dropdown menus and calls from other sheets.

I am now trying to call use the value of a drop down menu to decide which sheet I will pull a cell value from. Hopefully I will get this workbook fully functional and can share with the community here for those looking to use some of these methods.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daynle

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back