Return longest string within cell

Mlex889

Hello Mr.Excel,

I need a way to return the longest string within a cell. (number of characters)
However, it should count strings based on line breaks within the cell.

For example,
==
This is an example
of text within one cell.
==

The above should return the value "24"

Thanks!!
Mike

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
I used your example text and it worked fine with the example formula from the link I provided, first line is 20 characters, the second 24.

Upvote 0
Sorry, which formula? Is there a way to attach Excel? So i can show you it's not working.

Mike

Upvote 0
I put
Code:
[COLOR=#333333]=LEN(MID($A1,SUMPRODUCT(N(OFFSET($A1,0,COLUMN($A1:A1)-COLUMN($A$1))))+1,FIND(CHAR(10),$A1&CHAR(10),SUMPRODUCT(N(OFFSET($A1,0,COLUMN($A1:A1)-COLUMN($A$1))))+1)-SUMPRODUCT(N(OFFSET($A1,0,COLUMN($A1:A1)-COLUMN($A$1))))))[/COLOR]
in B1 and your text in A1.
I then dragged the formula from B1 to C1, giving me 20 in B1 and 24 in C1.

Upvote 0
I put
Code:
[COLOR=#333333]=LEN(MID($A1,SUMPRODUCT(N(OFFSET($A1,0,COLUMN($A1:A1)-COLUMN($A$1))))+1,FIND(CHAR(10),$A1&CHAR(10),SUMPRODUCT(N(OFFSET($A1,0,COLUMN($A1:A1)-COLUMN($A$1))))+1)-SUMPRODUCT(N(OFFSET($A1,0,COLUMN($A1:A1)-COLUMN($A$1))))))[/COLOR]
in B1 and your text in A1.
I then dragged the formula from B1 to C1, giving me 20 in B1 and 24 in C1.

HI RedBeard,
I am putting the text in column A, and will put the formula in column B. The formula you provided does not display the number of characters in the longest string in A1 in B1. It seems to only display the number of characters in the first line of the cell.

Mike

Upvote 0
Hi,

You can do this with a single array formula** if you want:

=MAX(LEN(TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(10),REPT(" ",LEN(A1))),1+LEN(A1)*(ROW(INDEX(A:A,1):INDEX(A:A,1+LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(10),""))))-1),LEN(A1)))))

Regards

**Array formulas are not entered in the same way as 'standard' formulas. Instead of pressing just ENTER, you first hold down CTRL and SHIFT, and only then press ENTER. If you've done it correctly, you'll notice Excel puts curly brackets {} around the formula (though do not attempt to manually insert these yourself).

Upvote 0
Hi,

You can do this with a single array formula** if you want:

=MAX(LEN(TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(10),REPT(" ",LEN(A1))),1+LEN(A1)*(ROW(INDEX(A:A,1):INDEX(A:A,1+LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(10),""))))-1),LEN(A1)))))

Regards

**Array formulas are not entered in the same way as 'standard' formulas. Instead of pressing just ENTER, you first hold down CTRL and SHIFT, and only then press ENTER. If you've done it correctly, you'll notice Excel puts curly brackets {} around the formula (though do not attempt to manually insert these yourself).

The new part in the second INDEX expression shortens the processing time by some tens of percentages compared to the usual INDEX(A:A,LEN(A1)) solution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The new part in the second INDEX expression shortens the processing time by some tens of percentages compared to the usual INDEX(A:A,LEN(A1)) solution.

Thanks, István. I recall now that you are something of an expert on the various forms of this construction!

Cheers

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back