Return multiple account numbers based on multiple names from a list

Joseph Adams

Apologies in advance. This is my first time posting.

I have a list (DATA A) with two columns of data, Name and Account. I am trying to match the account numbers from Data A to a separate list (List B) which contains names, but where the names are separated into two separate columns for First Name and Last Name. Additionally, I do not want the matching to be exact so that First Name = John and Last Name = Doe will pull the account number from Data A even if the corresponding name from Data A is John Doe, Doe John, John F Doe, and would not pull account numbers from names such as Jane Doe, Doe Jane, John Smith, and so on. The condition is that both "John" and "Doe" be present. Finally, I am trying to get a list of all unique account numbers since my Data A list will have multiple variations of the name and with different account numbers.

The following is the direction I have been going in, but I can't seem to combine both First Name and Last Name.

I apologize, not sure if this image is going to past in. I guess I will be out of luck if it doesn't.

Akuini

You could post a sample data as table.
To copy a simple table from worksheet:
1. In your worksheet select the table/range
2. In the menu, select border icon > select All Borders > then copy.
3. Back to the thread > in the reply box paste the table

Special-K99

You could post a sample data as table.
To copy a simple table from worksheet:
1. In your worksheet select the table/range
2. In the menu, select border icon > select All Borders > then copy.
3. Back to the thread > in the reply box paste the table
You sure this works? I can't get it to work, it posts the cell contents but not the borders.
Is there some setting that needs to be on to achieve this?

Akuini

It will show only the content part, like this:
ClaytonCayson
ColeIsaiah
ErickJaziel
GabrielKaleb
JedidiahBlaise

<tbody>
</tbody>

but you can amend it manually (by typing the column & row around the data), like this:
AB
1ClaytonCayson
2ColeIsaiah
3ErickJaziel
4GabrielKaleb
5JedidiahBlaise

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:

Special-K99

testing...

d e f
a b c

I can only see content atm, just about to press Post Quick Reply button.
@Akuini: Can you post your test Excel file?

Last edited:

Akuini

Test:

AB
1ClaytonCayson
2ColeIsaiah
3ErickJaziel
4GabrielKaleb
5JedidiahBlaise

<colgroup><col style="width:54pt" width="72" span="3"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Akuini

Earlier at post 5, I posted via GO Advance but in post 7 I just did it again by pressing Post Quick Reply button, the result are just the same.
I don't know why it's different from yours.

Special-K99

A B
1 Clayton Cayson
2 Cole Isaiah
3 Erick Jaziel
4 Gabriel Kaleb
5 Jedidiah Blaise

That's weird, hasn't worked.
Not to worry, I don't want to clog up this thread, thanks anyway.

Last edited:

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• Importing multiple excel files into one spreadsheet
    Hi, I'm trying to import multiple excel files (with the same format into a single spreadsheet) so that each day's file is listed underneath the...
  • find many based on a certain criteria
    good evening, I hope someone can help me? I have a workbook sheet 2 contains lots of data.... I would like to be able to find anything on sheet...
  • How to copy multiple rows using If
    Hi all, I'm very new to VBA and have written this simple code to copy certain cells if a certain cell within that row contains any data. I need...
  • VBA If statement
    Dear All, I have two dates, where I'd like a message box to pop, if the dates are between this criteria. [CODE] sDate1 = #10/1/2019#...
  • Text Format
    I have a sheet for user to keyin the data. The format of the data can be 451 / 1903, 0012 / 9908 or 00287 / 0099. The number after the "/" is...
  • Macro to copy values across rows and transposing them and add the user id
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]Hi,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Times New...