Row Height Incorrectly Adjusting

rmweaver81

I have an excel workbook that has a number of cells that are merged across, which I know has inherent issues for row height automatically re-sizing. I have gone in and manually set the row height, but they keep collapsing just a little bit so that you can no longer see all of the contents of the cell. Un-merging the cells is not an option at this point. See the attached image for a better demonstration. How can I fix this?

2013_07_15_13_39_21_Microsoft_Excel_Process_Ta.png

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Excel will only display some maximum number of characters in a cell -- 1024 without line feeds, more with. Spread the content over several cells, or time for a new design, or a new program (e.g., Word)

Upvote 0
Excel will only display some maximum number of characters in a cell -- 1024 without line feeds, more with. Spread the content over several cells, or time for a new design, or a new program (e.g., Word)
The cell I have referenced above is already displaying 1178 characters, with even more characters below the readable text. I have another cell that is shrinking the cell height just like this, and it only has 476 total characters.

Upvote 0
The cell I have referenced above is already displaying 1178 characters
You could display even more than that, subject to the max row height limitation of 409(?) points, if you add more lines feeds.

For cells with < 1024 characters, you can use a column that is sized to be the same width as the combined width of the merged columns, and in the same row in that wide column, use a simple formula (=D2) to put the same text in both cells. Excel will autofit the row height, provided both cells have the font face, style, and size used for style Normal.

In general, though, merged cells are their own punishment.

Upvote 0
For cells with < 1024 characters, you can use a column that is sized to be the same width as the combined width of the merged columns, and in the same row in that wide column, use a simple formula (=D2) to put the same text in both cells. Excel will autofit the row height, provided both cells have the font face, style, and size used for style Normal.

shg,

That will end up being a pretty clever work around! Oddly enough, I think I have to put a copy of the text into a hidden column like you suggest anyway. Two for the price of one! Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davenil

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back