Running VBA script every time a linked cell is updated through a combo box selection.

MistakesWereMade

Board Regular
So I have an issue in my excel file where I have a cell that is bound with a combo box. Every time the combo box selection is chosen, the linked cell will, of course, automatically contain the contents of the combo box. I then want my VBA script to automatically open an excel file on my desktop that corresponds with each time a combo box option is selected. However, my current script is missing the ability to automatically open the excel files. The script will only register that linked cell's contents have changed when I manually click on the linked cell, go the formula box, and press enter. I want my script to allow anyone to go to the combo box, make a selection which updates the linked cell, the script to realize the change, and then correspondingly open the right excel file. I've attached my current code.

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

On Error Resume Next

Dim varCellvalue As Long

If Target.Address = "$F$2" Then

Var = Range("F2").Value

Workbooks.Open "C:\Users\MyUser\Desktop" & Var & ".xlsx"

End If

End Sub

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
I decided to add one more feature, a command button, that I thought would make the program run a bit more appropriately.

However, both before and after adding the command button, there was a small bug it seemed where when the script runs and a new workbook is opened, the original excel file interface has the chosen combo box selection highlighted in blue. This is most definitely not a big problem at all, but it would run more smoothly if this bug did not occur. Any ideas on how I could get the script to run without this bug? My entire code is as follows,

Code:
Private Sub ComboBox1_Change()

ComboBox1.ListFillRange = "DropDownList"
Me.ComboBox1.DropDown

End Sub

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()

Dim Wbk As Workbook
    Dim Pth As String

Pth = Environ("Userprofile") & "\Desktop\"

On Error Resume Next

Set Wbk = Workbooks.Open(Pth & Me.ComboBox1.Value & ".xlsx")

On Error GoTo 0

If Wbk Is Nothing Then
        MsgBox "Workbook not found."
        Exit Sub
    End If

End Sub

Thanks for all the help!

Upvote 0
For example, when I type in "Item 1" in the combo box and then press "search", the script runs and opens my file tilted "Item 1". When I close out of my file tilted "Item 1", the following window is the previous excel file with the combo box and "search" button. Without touching anything, you can see that the combo box opens up and highlights the selection, "Item 1". It is a small bug that I would like to take out of the program if possible. I would rather it not reselect the combo box and highlight the selection in blue. I have attached pictures below, the first being before pressing "search", and the second image being after pressing "search" and closing the new window to reveal the original excel file with the combo box.
image-1.png
3kSN70fN
picture 1
image-2.png
picture 2

Upvote 0
Ok, simply remove this
Code:

Me.ComboBox1.DropDown

End Sub

Upvote 0
Yeah, that works, but I wanted to have the feature where my combo box is continuously comparing its contents with an input library. In other words, I made it so that when, let's say, "Ite" is typed into the combo box, all selections containing "Ite" will appear below the combo box. If I type "Item 1" into the combo box, then the only selection that will appear is "Item 1" below the combo box. I was able to do this using a series of formulas in Sheet2 so that it does not cluster my sheet1 with the combo box and search button interface.

So, I was hoping I could keep this feature and get rid of this weird bug if possible. Any other ideas?

Thanks for your time and responses.

Upvote 0
It's not a "bug", it's doing exactly what you have told it to do.

You could try
Code:
[COLOR=#ff0000]Dim DisableCb As Boolean[/COLOR]

Dim Wbk As Workbook
    Dim Pth As String

DisableCb = True

On Error Resume Next

Set Wbk = Workbooks.Open(Pth & Me.ComboBox1.Value)

On Error GoTo 0

If Wbk Is Nothing Then
        Exit Sub
    End If

DisableCb = False
End Sub
If DisableCb Then Exit Sub

Me.ComboBox1.DropDown

End Sub
The part in red must go at the very top of the module, before any code

Upvote 0
Yes! That worked! The code runs even more smoothly now. I no longer experience the parent excel file with the combo box highlighting its selection after running the script.

There is one new issue where after pressing "Search", the combo box for some reason quickly flashes the last input searched in the box before reverting back to the current input search selection. Despite a quick flash of the previous input in the combo box, it still searches the correct/current combo box input. It would be nice if I could get rid of this quirk, but I am so glad it runs even better than before.

One issue I did resolve was I had to delete the 'Exit Sub' portion of the code after the 'MsgBox', as there was a bug where when you put in some false input in the combo box and press the "Search" button, the combo box continuous matching feature that I created would not work until a correct input was searched once again.

Therefore, my final code is as follows,

Code:
Dim DisableCb As Boolean

Dim Wbk As Workbook
    Dim Pth As String

DisableCb = True

On Error Resume Next

Set Wbk = Workbooks.Open(Pth & Me.ComboBox1.Value)

On Error GoTo 0

If Wbk Is Nothing Then
    End If

DisableCb = False

End Sub

If DisableCb Then Exit Sub

Me.ComboBox1.DropDown

End Sub

If there is a quick fix for this quick flash that I am experiencing when pressing the "Search" button, please let me know.

Anyways, thanks for the continued help!!!!!!

Upvote 0
Because you are using the Change event I'm not sure it's possible to get rid of that quick flash

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flovalflyer

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back