Search column; copy contents/paste special

stags81

Hello,

I'm using Excel 2007, and I'm looking to create a macro that searches P4:P542 for all values which include an integer greater or less than (but not equal to) zero. For each value it finds, I would like it to copy and paste special the contents into the cell below it. I'm fairly new at Excel VBA and writing code, so unfortunately I don't really know where to even begin. Can you help?

Thanks!

Mike

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Hello,

I'm using Excel 2007, and I'm looking to create a macro that searches P4:P542 for all values which include an integer greater or less than (but not equal to) zero. For each value it finds, I would like it to copy and paste special the contents into the cell below it. I'm fairly new at Excel VBA and writing code, so unfortunately I don't really know where to even begin. Can you help?

Thanks!

Mike

Maybe, this can help you to get started.

Code:
Sub stags81()
Dim i As Long

For i = 542 To 4 Step -1

If Range("P" & i).Value <> 0 And Range("P" & i).Value = Int(Range("P" & i)) Then Range("P" & i).Offset(1).Value = Range("P" & i).Value

Next i

End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi John,

Thanks so much! Works great!

I'd like to add one more element to this...for each cell that the macro pastes values into, i'd like to select an option from a drop down box that is in the cell immediately to the left. For example, if the macro pastes a value in P170, the drop down box is in O170. All of column O has drop down boxes, and there is only one option for each box (a check mark).

Is this possible? Thanks again for your help!

Mike

Upvote 0
Hi John,

Thanks so much! Works great!

I'd like to add one more element to this...for each cell that the macro pastes values into, i'd like to select an option from a drop down box that is in the cell immediately to the left. For example, if the macro pastes a value in P170, the drop down box is in O170. All of column O has drop down boxes, and there is only one option for each box (a check mark).

Is this possible? Thanks again for your help!

Mike

Mike:

More than likely it's doable, but I've never used drop down boxes. I'm sure that someone one the board can provide further assistance.

Upvote 0
Are these drop boxes from the forms menu or the activex menu? I prefer the former. If so, all you need to do is write the cell value to the cell (I think):

Like so, Where X is the value you want to write:
(untested - could be wrong!)
Code:
Sub stags81()
Dim i As Long

For i = 542 To 4 Step -1
    If Range("P" & i).Value <> 0 And Range("P" & i).Value = Int(Range("P" & i)) Then 
        Range("P" & i).Offset(1).Value = Range("P" & i).Value
        [COLOR="Blue"]Range("O" & i).Offset(1).Value = [/COLOR][COLOR="Green"][B]X[/B][/COLOR]
    End If
Next i

End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi,

I meant drop down boxes made by means of data validation...not sure if we're referring to the same thing? The only option in the box is a u with a diaeresis (two dots on top) that appears as a check mark.

Thanks again!

Mike

Upvote 0
I see, well the thing to do would be to write that character to the cell. Dunno what actually the character is though! You could copy it also.

It may be a special font (for instance, "a" in Marlett font is a check mark). Or it may have been inserted from the symbol character map.

Upvote 0
Upon running the macro John started us with, I'm getting a mismatch error:

"Run-time error '13': Type mismatch"

I'm assuming that the macro starts at the bottom and works its way up...maybe it doesn't know what to do if the value in column P = 0? I would like to have the macro just skip that record, however I'm having trouble trying to word it correctly.

Thank you all!

Mike

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SCleaveland

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back