Search in TXT file and return line to Excel

jphumani

Hi there to evereybody!

Im Juan and i'm writing from argentina.

I have a TXT file with millons o lines (literally) like this:

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]22082019;01092019;30092019;20000163989;D;S;N;0,00;0,00;00;00;ETCHEVERRIGARAY JUAN CARLOS

I would like to use a command button to search for the number i've marked with bold. In addition i'd like to recieve the entire line in Excel.

Basically each line contains some tax info for argentinian members.

I've seacher the web and tried something like this:

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]Function buscar()
Open "D:\caba.txt" For Input As #1
Do While Not EOF(1)
Line Input #1 , dato
If dato = UserForm1.TextBox1 Then
Range("b3").Value = UserForm1.TextBox1
Range("c3").Value = dato
End Function

Wish you can help me.

Thanks in advantage

Juan Pablo
[/FONT]<strike>
</strike>
[/FONT]

Hi there...again!

Allright, i didnt know what was "inmediate window", that's why i skipped that part. Is there any chance to paste results in Excel? And what would be better, can i put a "search button" that launchs the code?

Im using Excel 2013 on Windows 10 64bits. That's my regular setup, but in other computers the 're still using Win7.

If i start the code once, it Works fine, but if i want to search for a second time, it says "not enough memory", halt options marks "[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]Get #i , , res "

[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]Thanks again for all your help. Believe me that this tool can help a lot with the everyday work.

Cheers,

Juan Pablo
[/FONT]

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
with Excel 2013 you'll need PowerQuery add-in from MS site (free)
after install open excel file, show queries, (you'll see error probably), dbl click on query, change path to your txt file in Advanced Editor then Refresh All

Code:
[SIZE=1]let
    SourceCSV = Csv.Document(File.Contents("[/SIZE][B][COLOR="#FF0000"]D:\test\jphumani\caba SAMPLE.txt[/COLOR][/B][SIZE=1]"),[Delimiter=";", Columns=12, Encoding=1252, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None]),
    TypeCSV = Table.TransformColumnTypes(SourceCSV,{{"Column1", Int64.Type}, {"Column2", Int64.Type}, {"Column3", Int64.Type}, {"Column4", type text}, {"Column5", type text}, {"Column6", type text}, {"Column7", type text}, {"Column8", type number}, {"Column9", type number}, {"Column10", Int64.Type}, {"Column11", Int64.Type}, {"Column12", type text}}),
    SourceID = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="ID"]}[Content],
    TypeID = Table.TransformColumnTypes(SourceID,{{"ID", type text}}),
    Result = Table.NestedJoin(TypeID,{"ID"},TypeCSV,{"Column4"},"caba SAMPLE",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    Expand = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Result, "caba SAMPLE", {"Column1", "Column2", "Column3", "Column4", "Column5", "Column6", "Column7", "Column8", "Column9", "Column10", "Column11", "Column12"}, {"Column1", "Column2", "Column3", "Column4", "Column5", "Column6", "Column7", "Column8", "Column9", "Column10", "Column11", "Column12"}),
    RC = Table.RemoveColumns(Expand,{"ID"})
in
    RC[/SIZE]

Example file

Edit:
more about PowerQuery

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back