Select # of Cells turn Yellow when data is entered

CovenantComputersPA

I am using Excel 2007
Made a 'Customer Data' Spreadsheet - First Name, Last Name, Address, City, State, and so on....
Works Great.

Problem #1 :
I have over 200 rows of data for customers and everything is working fine with them.

Now, (and this just started about a month ago) when I put in the 'First Name' for a New Customer the cell automatically turns Yellow. It doesn't do it for any other cell except 'First Name'

Right now the only cells that are Yellow are the ones with missing data such as a name but no phone number then the phone number cell is yellow or a name but no address, then the address cell is yellow but I manually highlight these myself, no Conditional Formatting set up.

I have tried all kind of thing from Highlighting the cells and clicking "No Fill" under Highlighting. to Selecting the cells and going to Conditional Formatting and selecting "Clear Rules" for both "Selected Cells" and "Entire Sheet" and then I save the Spreadsheet and as soon as I add data into that cell again it turns yellow.

I have also gone to 'Format Cell' then to 'Fill' and changed 'Background Color' to 'No Color' and saved it and the same thing still happens.

I also have copied cells from under 'Last Name' that are not being used and that 'Do Not' automatically Highlight yellow and pasted them over the cells that are automatically highlighting yellow when I put in data, I save the spreadsheet and when I put data in the 'First Name' cells they instantly highlight yellow again.

I have not been able to find out why it is doing this and everything I have tried has not made a difference. There are only about a half dozen cells that are doing this under 'First Name' but of course they are the cells right under the last row of Customer Info, the cells where I would enter a New Customers information. Then I have to go and manually remove the Yellow highlighting.

Problem # 2:
This is more of a question than an actual Problem, and if I need to list it as a separate thread let me know and I will.

As I said above I have a 'Customer Information' spreadsheet- First Name, Last Name, Address, City, State, and so on....

What I want to do is to put an Icon or Window or Query Box on the desktop so that when a customer comes in I can put their 'Last Name' in the box and it will search the Spreadsheet to see if this customers information is already in the Spreadsheet and if it is it will show the information on a form on the desktop and if they are a 'New Customer' a separate form will pop up so we can add the Customers information into the Spreadsheet.

I have seen this done before but have not actually done it myself. Am I asking too much for Excel or is this something that I can easily accomplish?

Thanks so much for your Help on both things.

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
My first thought would have been conditional formatting, but you appear to have cleared that. So, maybe some VBA event code? Is the workbook saved as xlsx, xlsm or xlsb? If it's any of the latter two then try...

Press alt+F11 to open the VBE. On the left you should see any open workbooks, expand the errant one, look for the worksheet name where you get the highlighting problem and look for any code... is there any? Also look in the Thisworkbook module for code, again is there anything there?

Regards

Upvote 0
My first thought would have been conditional formatting, but you appear to have cleared that. So, maybe some VBA event code? Is the workbook saved as xlsx, xlsm or xlsb? If it's any of the latter two then try...

Press alt+F11 to open the VBE. On the left you should see any open workbooks, expand the errant one, look for the worksheet name where you get the highlighting problem and look for any code... is there any? Also look in the Thisworkbook module for code, again is there anything there?

Regards

OK, Thanks for your reply.

I made sure and the worksheet is saved as an .xlsx and not as xlsm or xlsb.

I have no clue what might be causing this and have searched until I'm frustrated because I am not finding anything even close to the problem I am having.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexlomt

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back