Sending a number to be added

Zman613

I was wondering if it's possible to send a number from one cell to be added in another. The Sum function receives numbers from different cells but I want to send it.
I have one sheet that is a template for the input information that will be copied daily (ie Game 1, 2, 3 Etc.) and another sheet that acts as the landing page for the information that I want added. The issue is that the 'Copied' Sheets don't exist yet so I can't tell the landing sheet to Sum from them. But if I could send the information from the template that would solve it. I think:)

Thanks

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
I would rather not. I'm planning that every sheet copied would be a day and I'll be doing this for a year... If I could get the template with everything built in that would make things a lot easier for me.

Upvote 0
Does an indirect formula work. =IFERROR(INDIRECT("Sheet2!$A$1"),"") will return "" if the sheet does not exist, but will return the value in A1 if it does.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

A formula cannot 'send' a value to another cell, it can only return a value in the cell that it is placed in.
It is not entirely clear to me exactly what you are trying to achieve, but if you are adding the same cell (eg G4), or range (eg G4:H8) in each of the new sheets to a total in your 'landing page', then could you do this?
- Insert a blank sheet and name it 'Start'
- Insert a blank sheet to the right of 'Start' and call it 'End'
- As you copy the template sheet each time, place the copied sheet between 'Start' and 'End'
- in the 'landing sheet' where you want the total, put the formula =SUM(Start:End!G4), or =SUM(Start:End!G4:H8)

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

A formula cannot 'send' a value to another cell, it can only return a value in the cell that it is placed in.
It is not entirely clear to me exactly what you are trying to achieve, but if you are adding the same cell (eg G4), or range (eg G4:H8) in each of the new sheets to a total in your 'landing page', then could you do this?
- Insert a blank sheet and name it 'Start'
- Insert a blank sheet to the right of 'Start' and call it 'End'
- As you copy the template sheet each time, place the copied sheet between 'Start' and 'End'
- in the 'landing sheet' where you want the total, put the formula =SUM(Start:End!G4), or =SUM(Start:End!G4:H8)

Thanks so much! This helped me a lot.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David Clark

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back