Share a locked down pw protected Excel model

Silverjman

Board Regular
I need to share a complex model with potential clients while at the same time keeping it secure.

I've been using the excellent program XLS Padlock, but now many IT departments are blocking all .exe files (even camouflaged ones) via download or even usb drive.

Short of mailing the client a laptop is there way to solve this problem? Dropbox/OneDrive/Google don't stream files...

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Re: How to share a locked down pw protected Excel model

When you go to save-as the file, next to the "save" button is a dropdown for Tools. Click this, and then click on General Options. Here, you can set a password to open. Then, depending on how secure you want the file to be, you can email the client a separate email (or call the client) with the password, so the file and password are not contained in the same package.

Hope that helps!

Upvote 0
Re: How to share a locked down pw protected Excel model

Yes, but native Excel encryption is easily cracked via macro or a $30 program. I think passwords that actually prevent the file from being opened are harder to crack but I want the client to be able to open the file, edit the inputs and save without being able to go into "very hidden" sheets or explore formulas on visible sheets.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SCleaveland

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back