Shared Files

I searched through the message board on this subject but didn't find anything. There are 3 of us that share a file and update the information several times throughout the day, so we all have it open usually at the same time. What exactly happens if all three of us have the file open and the power goes out to the building and our computers? We will get the message that the file was saved and do we want to recover it. Do all three of us want to recover the file? This happened to us today. Since we are changing so much in this file, it will be difficult, if not impossible to tell if we lost anything. I just recently got a laptop and it has battery backup, so I wasn't affected by the outage. I saved the file after the power outage, even though my computer didn't lose power. When I saved, did that also save the other two users' work? - Ruth in Granville, OH

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Not sure if I know the answer to your question but I have been in similar situations where I wanted to know if another user had saved their updates in a shared file.

Ther is an option when you set up shared files to tarck changes, this creates a liston a seperate worksheet of who has changed what cell and gives the old and new values. It is also a very useful audit tool if mistakes get made

Upvote 0
I have that turned on. However, I also have conditional formatting turned on and any time the conditional formatting needs to be changed, you have to turn off the sharing. This in turn will remove the history, I think. My spreadsheet is almost 1000 rows and about 80 columns wide. Data is being added hourly. I'm concerned that when we have had power failures that the information is not being saved. The power went out without warning last week - no storms in the area. And when you have this much data that is being updated, it's pretty hard to remember everything you've done to the file since the last time it was saved.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LGVBPP

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back