Smart Search in Excel

deepakhp

Hi,

I am trying to get excel to work like a webapp(eg: google search) where we can have smart search.
Problem Statement : I have a list of things in Sheet 1 (Eg: over 100 unique entries in a column, sheet 1 is like a database), which the user is currently using via a drop-down (scroll down and choose).
Require : Smart Search method so that use can for example input "A" where all entries/texts starting with "A" would be populated and make it easier for user to choose. This can also be in drop downs where use can input and drop down get updated based on input.

I am hoping we can do this in excel. If not, do i need to use some database tool for storing my database and then doing this via some scripting language?
Any help here would be appreciated.

-Deepak

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
I have actually created something like this before that should work with in cell Data Validation drop downs and also the Combo box form control. I can try and get a sample together for you if you like and upload it via Skydrive?

Let me know which style of drop down and also what version of Excel you are using and which operating system you are using?

Upvote 0
Hi Erik,

Looks great to be honest and probably what the OP wanted.

Just wanted to mention that my solution was formula based so avoids the need for VBA which some companies tend to dislike (the need to enable macros and the security reasons are mainly stated).

Also I can't get Jaafars code working on Excel 2010 on Windows 7. As I'm running a 64 bit system the code asks me to make the declarations PtrSafe. I know this is normally just a case of making Long variables LongPtr for example but I don't want to break the code by putting something in the wrong place!
So just a note that while it should work on 32 bit systems, 64 bit may struggle.

Upvote 0
thank you Erik, i shall look inot the Auto Word complete, on initial view of this post, seems this may not work in Excel 2010 on win 7, however i shall recheck the same

Upvote 0
thank you for the reply AD_Taylor...appreciate any helpo i can get
I have combo box control for drop down, using Excel 2010 and Win 7 (same as your config :) ) and yeah it seems that the Jaffers Auto Complete may not work for this config

Upvote 0
I've uploaded my example to my SkyDrive now.

If you go to this address, http://sdrv.ms/Wgz8Nq, go into Test Documents (or Template Documents can't remember if I renamed it) and right click the file called 'Filterable Drop Down Lists (Based on text value)'.
You'll want to select the option to Download. If you had just single clicked the file it would have tried to open in Excel Web App which probably won't let you see all the features.

If you have any questions feel free to get in touch :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Erik,

Looks great to be honest and probably what the OP wanted.

Just wanted to mention that my solution was formula based so avoids the need for VBA which some companies tend to dislike (the need to enable macros and the security reasons are mainly stated).
I agree. Of course if they don't want macros, then there are some limitations sometimes.
Anyway, it's a nice challenge to do it using formulas.

Upvote 0
I have actually created something like this before that should work with in cell Data Validation drop downs and also the Combo box form control. I can try and get a sample together for you if you like and upload it via Skydrive?

Let me know which style of drop down and also what version of Excel you are using and which operating system you are using?

Dear AD_Taylor,

The Skydrive folder that the link points to is emply. Would you be kind to post your example once more. I would really appreciate that. I looking for a solution that creates a filterable drop down list based on text value in Excel 7.
Thank you

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoonDancer

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back