Smart Search in Excel

deepakhp

Hi,

I am trying to get excel to work like a webapp(eg: google search) where we can have smart search.
Problem Statement : I have a list of things in Sheet 1 (Eg: over 100 unique entries in a column, sheet 1 is like a database), which the user is currently using via a drop-down (scroll down and choose).
Require : Smart Search method so that use can for example input "A" where all entries/texts starting with "A" would be populated and make it easier for user to choose. This can also be in drop downs where use can input and drop down get updated based on input.

I am hoping we can do this in excel. If not, do i need to use some database tool for storing my database and then doing this via some scripting language?
Any help here would be appreciated.

-Deepak

Dear AD_Taylor,

The Skydrive folder that the link points to is emply. Would you be kind to post your example once more. I would really appreciate that. I looking for a solution that creates a filterable drop down list based on text value in Excel 7.
Thank you

Hi unity,

Thanks for getting in touch. I've migrated everything to a new account so that link will have stopped working. Please try this new one: http://sdrv.ms/1j37KgJ, and I've also updated the link in my signature.

As before it is the file named 'Filter Drop Downs from string' that you'll want, and make sure to right click and download it so that you get a copy you can easily work with.

If you have any other questions about the file, feel free to ask.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Hi Mr Ad_Taylor,

I Really admire you excel skill, Can you please help me for my assignment?

Actually I have the big table show below

No.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxRemarkxxx
xxxx
1 A-PCamaaanbbbcbdbebf
A-SC1bnabao
A-SC2coacap
A-SC3cpadaq
qaear
B-PCerafas
B-SC1fsagat
B-SC2gtahau
B-SC3huaiav
C-PCivajaw
C-SC1jwakax
C-SC2kyalay
C-SC3lzamaz
ba
C:\Users\SLT-EN~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png

<tbody>
</tbody>

<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col><col span="8"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>
where a - bf is a complete formula for the a model ( a+b+c.....+bf=1 model). In each category will have a lot of source.
what I need to do is create the dropdown list for a - bf, then create the table for each category in other sheets. But it is necessary to add the new value from the dropdownlists instead of add on the table. Then when finish key in the table, I will click the "confirm" button. Then the first think will do is check it is duplicated formulas for the complete table. If Yes Should message box to indicate which number already have the formulas, and if No it will create the new table continuously

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashsweety

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back