sorting by "difference from"

miconian

I used Pivot Table Options -> Field Settings -> Show Values As -> Difference From.

I did this to show the difference in dollars from one month to another. My report now has two columns: month1 (which is blank, as it should be, since it's the base), and month2 (which shows the difference between the months).

I then formatted the month2 column like so:

"increase by" #,##0_);[Red]"decrease by" (#,##0);"no change"

So, my "difference from" column now looks kind of like this:

no change
no change
increase by $1
no change
decrease by ($3)
no change

I want it to look like this:

no change
no change
no change
increase by $1
increase by $2
increase by $6
decrease by ($7)
decrease by ($10)

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to do this sort. Alphabetical doesn't do it, in either direction. The pivot table will not let me do a manual sort because it's a custom calculation.

Maybe I could use a custom list, but I don't know what that list would consist of, since the numbers in question will change constantly.

Any thoughts?

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Number formatting doesn't alter the actual values. So, you are wanting to sort in this order
zeroes
positive numbers
negative numbers
... which is not a valid sort order.

Do you have to do the sorting within the pivottable? Otherwise you could copy the pivottable results as values, and create a sort field via formulas, and sort that.

Upvote 0
I don't have to do the sorting within the pivot table. The problem is that the raw data is going to be updated frequently. I need a solution that does not require the worksheet to be reformatted every time that happens.

Perhaps there is some way for the a non-pivot table (but still a table) to reflect the difference column's values, and that could be sorted, and it would also grow dynamically with updates? I have no idea how to do that, or if it's really possible.

Upvote 0
I don't have to do the sorting within the pivot table. The problem is that the raw data is going to be updated frequently. I need a solution that does not require the worksheet to be reformatted every time that happens.

Perhaps there is some way for the a non-pivot table (but still a table) to reflect the difference column's values, and that could be sorted, and it would also grow dynamically with updates? I have no idea how to do that, or if it's really possible.
I don't see how you'd get an automatic process without using VBA.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojomen56

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back