Sorting data into multiple columns

guibgirl86

I have a batch of data in several columns of different information. One of the columns is a label for the team name "Red" or "Blue" I want to sort the information for each team in a separate columns for that team. I have the code that will copy/paste the information I want into the columns I want, but I am having trouble figuring out how to get the pasting into the new column to be successive.

Code:
dim x as long, y as long
For x = 2 To n Step 1 And y = 2
            If Cells(x, 3).Value = "Blue" Then Range("B" & x, "C" & x, "H" & x, "J" & x, "K" & x, "L" & x).Copy ("O" & y)
            If Cells(x, 3).Value = "Red" Then Range("B" & x, "C" & x, "H" & x, "J" & x, "K" & x, "L" & x).Copy ("W" & y)
        Next x

I have x to go down my main column of information, but I don't know how to call out y so that if O2 is filled then go to O3 and if W2 is filled then go to W3.

Any help is appreciated

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
I had to study your code for a few minutes to figure out the problem. Try substituting the following snippet for the one you posted. I assume that 'n' is defined eslewhere in the procedure.
Code:
dim x as long, y as long
y = 2
z = 2
For x = 2 To n Step 1
            If Cells(x, 3).Value = "Blue" Then 
                 Range("B" & x, "C" & x, "H" & x, "J" & x, "K" & x, "L" & x).Copy Range("O" & y)
                 y = y + 1 
            ElseIf Cells(x, 3).Value = "Red" Then 
                 Range("B" & x, "C" & x, "H" & x, "J" & x, "K" & x, "L" & x).Copy Range("W" & z)
                 z = z + 1
            End If
Next x

Upvote 0
Thanks
I think that solved my problem, but It keeps giving me an error about the range function, so i tried to replace it with the union function and it is still giving me problems.

Code:
For x = 2 To n Step 1 And y = 2 And z = 2
            If Cells(x, 2).Value = "At Sea" Then
                ActiveSheet.Union(Cells(x, 2), Cells(x, 3), Cells(x, 8), Cells(x, 10), Cells(x, 11), Cells(x, 12)).Copy (Range("O" & y)) And y = y + 1
            ElseIf Cells(x, 2).Value = "In Port" Then
                ActiveSheet.Union(Cells(x, 2), Cells(x, 3), Cells(x, 8), Cells(x, 10), Cells(x, 11), Cells(x, 12)).Copy (Range("W" & z)) And z = z + 1
        End If
        Next x

I keep getting the
Run Time error 1004
Method range of object_Global failed

Upvote 0
You cannot use the 'And' Operator like this:
Code:
ActiveSheet.Union(Cells(x, 2), Cells(x, 3), Cells(x, 8), Cells(x, 10), Cells(x, 11), Cells(x, 12)).Copy (Range("O" & y)) And y = y + 1
ElseIf Cells(x, 2).Value = "In Port" Then
ActiveSheet.Union(Cells(x, 2), Cells(x, 3), Cells(x, 8), Cells(x, 10), Cells(x, 11), Cells(x, 12)).Copy (Range("W" & z)) And z = z + 1
The y = y + 1 and the z = z + 1 must go on a separate line in the code. See my June 26th Post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sometimes I just look right at a mistake and don't see it. But I have senility as an excuse. This code should clear up your issue.
Code:
Dim x As Long, y As Long, rng1 As Range
y = 2
Z = 2
For x = 2 To n Step 1
    Set rng1 = Union(Range("B" & x), Range("C" & x), Range("H" & x), Range("J" & x), Range("K" & x), Range("L" & x))
            If Cells(x, 3).Value = "Blue" Then
                 rng1.Copy Range("O" & y)
                 y = y + 1
            ElseIf Cells(x, 3).Value = "Red" Then
                 rng1.Copy Range("W" & Z)
                 Z = Z + 1
            End If
Next x

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daynle

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back