Source Not Found not returning error

Catie

First time poster here... I think (?). I love the advice on this site and have used numerous tips. I also have read a few of the Mr. Excel books and trust his expert advice. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Here is my problem that leaves me perplexed....(I am using Excel 2010)

I collect data thru a mailbox monthly. In my excel file (I'll call this 'report file' for this explanation) I link to the data files to retrieve the info I need within the mailbox. Towards the end of the month the data files are archived and the mailbox is left empty awaiting the next months data files.

When I am anticipating the data file to arrive within the mailbox the report file gives me an error message and tells me the source is not found within the data link window.... which is what I expect it to do since the data file is not in the mailbox yet.

I use an IFERROR function which sets the cell to "Waiting for Data" if the link returns an error. Problem that I am having is since the data file's link can't be updated the cell stores the previous month's value. In my case I want Excel to produce one of its errors however the cell will not refresh since the file is not truly there yet.

Any suggestions?

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arm56

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back