Spell Check - Change All

LR2008

Hi! I am trying to clean up a large spreadsheet (~500,000 rows) with a lot of spelling errors. The problem I'm having is that choosing "Change All" only applies the change to "all" if you finish the spell checking for the entire sheet. Due to the large number of errors it is not possible for me to fix all the errors in one sitting, therefore I have to close the spell check window prior to finishing which means the "Change All" is not applied to anything past where I stopped. I would love to figure out a way to have any "Change All" applied to the whole spreadsheet immediately so I don't have to address the same correction in multiple spell-check sessions.

Thanks in advance!

Example: If I run spell check on this list, the checker will stop on #4 and suggest "words", if I click "Change All" row 4 will be corrected and the checker will move to row 9 to suggest a correction. If I close out the checker at this point (because I don't have time to go through the next 300,000+ rows), row 337654 will still be misspelled despite earlier choosing "Change All" for the same error.

1 word
2 test
3 another word
4 wrds
5 again
6 cake
7 pizza
8 mistake
9 prblem
10 wrng
11 something
. . .
. . .
337652 correct
337653 right
337654 wrds
337655 spatula

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
If you don't give it the chance to conclude, it will do as you say. Would take a lot of work, but if you could extract each and every word, identify those that fail, need to be replaced then code could work through a list you have in a seperate sheet to replace each and every one. Still would take time but your master list would then allow you to do it again on fresh data

Upvote 0
@LR2008
Welcome to MrExcel.

While we do not prohibit Cross-Posting on this site, we do ask that you please mention you are doing so and provide links in each of the threads pointing to the other thread (see rule 13 here along with the explanation: Forum Rules).
This way, other members can see what has already been done in regards to a question, and do not waste time working on a question that may already be answered.

Upvote 0
My apologies for not indicating my cross-post -- I will do so in the future. Thank you for the confirmation of the issue I am dealing with (I was starting to wonder if my explanation was unclear or I was just being boneheaded). I guess I'll either need to come up with a different approach, or just grin and bear it. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelfromGermany

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back