Split Text List Into Individual Cells

DougStroud

I have a text list copied from the clipboard that pasted everything into one cell. I would like to split the individual records into their own cells, in the column. The records are separated by a comma. Here is a short example of the text list:

0025_Billette_John_Wedding__S516914, 0029_Billette_John_Wedding__S516940, 0041_Billette_John_Wedding__S528265

Thanks for the help!

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
Hi,

Formula copied across as far as needed:

Book1
ABCD
10025_Billette_John_Wedding__S516914, 0029_Billette_John_Wedding__S516940, 0041_Billette_John_Wedding__S5282650025_Billette_John_Wedding__S5169140029_Billette_John_Wedding__S5169400041_Billette_John_Wedding__S528265
Sheet74
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE($A1,",",REPT(" ",500)),COLUMNS($B1:B1)*500-499,250))

You can also use Text to Columns using the comma as delimiter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My apologies for the long delay in replying, had a family emergency and just getting back home now. I tried the formula offered and it worked up until column H and then I-O are empty and then P result is "121" and then Q starts up properly again. I then tried it on another list with this text- Nathaniel_Sommer_Shalett_Bar_Mitzvah_S510499, Nathaniel_Sommer_Shalett_Bar_Mitzvah_S510500, Nathaniel_Sommer_Shalett_Bar_Mitzvah_S510505A, Nathaniel_Sommer_Shalett_Bar_Mitzvah_S510512, on a separate sheet, Sheet 2 in the same workbook and I get an error- #Value !. Could you look at this and see what might be different or what I may be doing wrong?

Upvote 0
No problem.

I believe it's because your Text Strings are just WAY longer than I anticipated, so my formula as is, just can't handle it ( if we're starting at Column A, and you're talking about Column Q and beyond :eek: ). I can tweak my formula to accommodate.

Before posting an updated formula, please confirm whether you want it Extracted in the same Column or Row? ( To the Right, or Downwards )

Upvote 0
Thank you!
Ideally, I would like it presented in the column beginning one cell below, A2. Thank you again...

Upvote 0
Is there a reason why Text to Columns cannot be used here, delimiting the data on a comma?

Upvote 0
@Joe4, no, no reason other than I had forgotten how to use it. @jtakw mentioned it in his initial reply and I couldn't find it so I thought it had to something to do with the way it was being copied over. I did some searching now and re-discovered it and that approach works just fine. Thank you and thank jtakw!

Upvote 0
Yes, Text-to-Columns comes in very handy at times! It is pretty easy, and I use it a lot.
Glad it works for you!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you!
Ideally, I would like it presented in the column beginning one cell below, A2. Thank you again...

You're welcome.

I suppose you no longer need an updated formula to separate the text string down Column.
If you still want it, post back.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back