Stupid Scientific Category

t2true

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
This whole scientific non-sense that Excel defaults to for some numbers is quite annoying.

Background:
I have a list of phone extensions from a PBX. The list includes the port number to which each extension is associated. The following is an example of some of the ports: 01E0205, 01E0713, 01E0916, etc. (I can have up to 3800 ports that look like that.)
For every one of the ports that looks like that, Excel outputs it as 1E+205, 1E+713, 1E+916, etc and change the category to Scientific.

[I don't know how to embed the spreadsheet into the post.]

How can I get Excel to ignore that format/style/category and output it how it needs to be - 01E0205, 01E0713, 01E0916, etc?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
In that case I don't understand why it's still converting them to numbers, as it shouldn't

I would suspect that the CSV file is opened and saved, still as a CSV file type, after Excel has doodled in it.
The user might maintain control if the default application for CSV file types is changed to NOTEPAD instead.

I can see some software Exporting to the Application the CSV file. Essentially forcing the CSV into Excel taking away the control we would prefer.

Upvote 0
Quote Originally Posted by Fluff View Post
When importing the csv, on page 3 of the wizard did you select the relevant column in the data preview section & then select the "Text" option above?
Yes.

This should work. Are you invoking the import wizard correctly? How are you importing the file? I usually change the file extension to .txt for this, as otherwise csv files are imported directly without the wizard.

Nevermind - see that you used the data import wizard. That works just fine for me. Not at all clear why it would fail in your case (as I've never known it to fail before). Do you have a sample csv file for testing?

Also for what its worth if you have a known format or rule that can use to convert back the scientific notation you can always reformat the data after import.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back