Subscript Error when using Split

CrispyAsian

Board Regular
Hey all,

I'm working on this code but everytime I run it, I get a subscript error on the .Value lines. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Code:
Private Sub ComboBox2_Change()

Range("F3:PO3").Clear

Dim SDates() As String
Dim CDates As String
Dim c As Range

Select Case ComboBox2
    Case Is = "AF CTSAC"
        For Each c In Worksheets("Sheet2").Range("B2:AZ2")
            If Not c Is Nothing Then
            CDates = Cells(2, c.Column).Value
            SDates = Split(CDates, " - ")
            Worksheets("Sheet1").Cells(21, 1).Value = SDates(0) 'These two lines are where I get the Subscript out of range error
            Worksheets("Sheet1").Cells(21, 2).Value = SDates(1)

Else
            End If
        Next c

End Select

End Sub

I have the Select Case in there because I am going to be adding more option to what ComboBox2 could be equal to, but I want to get this part fixed before I do so. Anybody see what I'm not?

I'm guessing then that the delimiter in the cells might not be the normal [space][dash][space].
Have you checked that the delimiters in the cells are the same as the delimiters in the Split statement? There are funny dashes and spaces that can be a pain.

Have you stepped through the code to verify that CDate is the value that you think it is?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
@mikerickson, funny that you should say that. The format of the cells is actually input by a module running on sheet2. So I know for sure the delimiter is " - " because that's what I put into the first code to input them that way.

Upvote 0
@JackDanIce

Your code works perfectly, except it doesn't take into account for cells that are blank. So as soon as it reaches a cell that is blank it throws up a Runtime Error 1004. Which is fine because I need it to stop if reaches a blank cell anyway, but I don't want my end user to think that something is wrong when the error comes up. Also, your code only displays the first date that is split. I need the dates that are on both sides of the split in different cells.

Upvote 0
Try:
Code:

Dim SDates() As String
Dim c As Long

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Select Case ComboBox2
    Case Is = "AF CTSAC"
        For c = 2 To 52
            If Len(c.Value) > 0 And InStr(c.Value, " - ") Then
                SDates = Split(Sheets("Sheet2").Cells(2, c).Value, " - ")
                Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(21, 1).Resize(, UBound(SDates) + 1).Value = SDates
                Erase SDates
            End If
        Next c
End Select

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@JackDanIce

This throws out an Compile Error "Invalid Qualifier" on the Len(c.Value)
Try:
Rich (BB code):

Dim SDates() As String
Dim c As Long

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Select Case ComboBox2
    Case Is = "AF CTSAC"
        For c = 2 To 52
            If Len(c.Value) > 0 And InStr(c.Value, " - ") > 0 Then
                SDates = Split(Sheets("Sheet2").Cells(2, c).Value, " - ")
                Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(21, 1).Resize(, UBound(SDates) + 1).Value = SDates
                Erase SDates
            End If
        Next c
End Select

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub
Try putting the red highlighted text I show above in JackDanIce's code above (once you have an And or Or operator, I think you have to have full logical expressions for it to work on).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Rick Rothstein, I thought 0 means FALSE else any positive number as TRUE. Wasn't aware if using AND or OR you had to fully include the comparison, thanks!

Just confirmed in debug window:
Code:
?(Len("ABC") > 0 and Instr("ABC","C")>0) = True
Prints True

However.
Code:
?(Len("ABC") > 0 and Instr("ABC","C")) = True
Prints False

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Rick Rothstein, I thought 0 means FALSE else any positive number as TRUE. Wasn't aware if using AND or OR you had to fully include the comparison, thanks!
If..Then looks for False (0) or Not False (any non-zero value), but And, Or, Xor, Imp and Eqv (you probably never even heard of those last two) actually compare logicals (True and/or False).

Upvote 0
So it's almost a data matching issue i.e. booleans against numbers (non-booleans) that causes it to require only TRUE or FALSE if you're using additional logical operators?

Yes, never heard of IMP and EQV; I'll refrain from asking what and go do some research! But only because it's not strictly speaking related to this thread :), thank you Rick.

Upvote 0
Yes, never heard of IMP and EQV; I'll refrain from asking what and go do some research!
Probably not worth the effort researching them... they are quite odd... in my 35+ years of programming in BASIC (the predecessor to VB), yes Imp and Eqv were available back then) and VB/VBA, I think I found a use for one of them (don't remember which) only one time.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBFrieds

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back