Sum Multiple sheets based on sheet name

Adamzurick

Hi there,

I have a model that is identical across 30 sheets. Each sheet rolls up to 1 of 3 different buckets. Using a mapping table of each tab name and the bucket it relates to, I'd like to summarize the 3 buckets into 3 separate tabs (identical to the model that's being used in the 30 sheets) that sums the cells of its child's sheets.

What formula would be the best to accomplish this? I imagine its some sort of INDIRECT but the one problem i'm forseeing is that if I add or remove tabs later (to both the workbook and mapping) the formulas i've come across aren't dynamic enough to address this type of change.

Below is the best i've come across so far. Is there anything i'm missing that might be better? Thanks ahead of time for your help!!!

SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&sheets&"'!"&"rng"),criteria,INDIRECT("'"&sheets&"'!"&"sumrng")))

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
did you consider adding all data on 1 worksheet (e.g. with a macro). After that you can use pivot table to analyse the data.

Upvote 0
did you consider adding all data on 1 worksheet (e.g. with a macro). After that you can use pivot table to analyse the data.

I thought of that too, but there just seems like there would be a more elegant way through a formula, right?

Upvote 0
If you keep the new sheets INSIDE the "sheets" range (I assume its a range), then the formula should update with any new sheets you add. When I need to do anything like this, I sometimes add a new sheet at the beginning and call it Start, and another at the end, called (duh) End. Then if your sheet named range starts with Start and ends with End, you can drag sheets into and out of that range to your hearts content, and the formulas should work just fine

Upvote 0
Solution
If you keep the new sheets INSIDE the "sheets" range (I assume its a range), then the formula should update with any new sheets you add. When I need to do anything like this, I sometimes add a new sheet at the beginning and call it Start, and another at the end, called (duh) End. Then if your sheet named range starts with Start and ends with End, you can drag sheets into and out of that range to your hearts content, and the formulas should work just fine

This Start and End Solution is perfect for what i'm doing. Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back