Sum of cells over multiple sheets with VLOOKUP

jason7579

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am not sure if this is possible, I have done a bit of Googling but cannot see an answer for this specific problem.

I have an Excel Workbook with Tabs running from April to March for monthly data collection. Each sheet is exactly the same except for the month name. In the sheets I have 5 identical drop down lists in the same column (D68:D72) that allows the user to choose from 14 specific subjects. They can then enter Number of events in Column F, Attendees in Column H and New Joiners in Column J (I have had to merge cells for the layout of the sheet).

I have a sheet that collates data and gives a running total from what is entered on the monthly sheets. Is it possible for me to list the 14 subjects on this sheet (list will be from D68:D81) and add up the totals in columns F, H and J based on what was chosen and entered on the monthly sheets.

I hope that this is clear, any further explanation please let me know.

Thanks
Jason

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Hi. This formula will add up all cell E1 ranges in the sheets between Jan and Mar inclusive. Is that what you mean?

=SUM(Jan:Mar!E1)

Upvote 0
Hi, thanks for the quick response.

I need a formula, like a VLOOKUP, that can check the text in cells D68:D72 across all sheets (April to March) and add up totals across all sheets that correspond to the exact word in D68:D72.

Like a tally of all people in the month that have attended a certain event. The only problem being the user chooses the eventvia a drop down box.

Upvote 0
and add up totals across all sheets that correspond to the exact word in D68:D72.

In which column(s) are the totals?

You mention VLOOKUP, which of course only returns the first match in a given range. Does that mean that your search value will only ever occur once in a given sheet?

Regards

Upvote 0
In which column(s) are the totals?

You mention VLOOKUP, which of course only returns the first match in a given range. Does that mean that your search value will only ever occur once in a given sheet?

Regards

Unfortunately the search value could appear any number of times across the workbook - but likely only once per sheet.

The total number of events is in column F; attendees in column H; new joiners in column J. On the running total sheet I would like a total of all (for example) Reading Event events, attendees and new joiners across the year.

Thanks

Upvote 0
First go to Name Manager (Formulas tab) and define:

Name: Sheets
Refers to: ={"Jan","Feb","Mar","Apr"}

(Or whatever happen to be the sheet names in question.)

Then, with your first subject in D68 of your Master sheet, enter this in E68:

=SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&Sheets&"'!D:D"),$D68,INDIRECT("'"&Sheets&"'!F:F")))

which will give the sum from column F across all sheets where the corresponding entry in column D is equal to the entry in D68.

Copy down to give similar results for entries in D69, D70, etc.

The column being referenced in the sum_range (F:F here) can be altered to give the sum from another column as required.

Regards

Upvote 0
Solution
You are a genius. Thank you, this has really helped me save hours in the future.

Works perfectly.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojomen56

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back