Sumifs formula for multi criteria in multiple column ranges

Jon3sy

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
=SUMIFS('Transaction Raw Data'!$J$3:$J$5009,'Transaction Raw Data'!$G$3:$G$5009,"XYZ",'Transaction Raw Data'!$G$3:$G$5009,"ABC",'Transaction Raw Data'!$H$3:$H$5009,"Operating Expense")

I want to sum column J if it meets the 3 criteria - 2 criteria from column G and one criteria from column H, But my formula is not returning a result
Appreciate your expertise.
Many thanks
Sharon

No that didn't work - the first part of my original formula worked for Jayne eg: =SUMIFs(Jayne!$I$2:$I$5001,Jayne!$A$2:$A$5001,"Jayne",Jayne!$D$2:$D$5001,E5) - but as soon as I tried to add a formula to calculate Laurie's costs from her tab it didn't work. Each of the 4 separate tabs have exactly the same structure so the sum will always be referenced to the same column but the tab name will be different. I also have to add two other people to the formula. I don't understand how the indirect formula would know which tab to get the data to sum from without the test when a different name is chosen in the dropdown?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
What do you mean "No that didn't work", how did it Not work? Did you try the formula...?

The Indirect function within my formula will look at A1 ( Again, change A1 to wherever your drop down for the names are ), then tell the formula which Tab to do the SUM and check the Criteria for E5.
You HAVE to make sure the names in the "drop down" list are EXACTLY as the TAB NAMES, they have to be an EXACT match.

This formula will work whether you have 4 employees & 4 tabs, 40 employees & 40 tabs, 400 employees & 400 tabs, etc., same formula will do ALL.

Upvote 0
Again my apologies - I must be missing something here through lack of understanding - and I want to attach and image of the screen so have created this url hopefully it works
http://i66.tinypic.com/20gbpkk.jpg - you will see that the 4 x tab names match the dropdown selection and here is the formula I typed in =SUMIFS(INDIRECT(B2&"Laurie Silver!I2:I5001"),INDIRECT(B2&"Laurie Silver!d2:d5001"),E5). or this link http://tinypic.com/r/20gbpkk/9

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No, you Do Not need to add the name (Jayne, Laurie, Jon3sy, etc.) in the formula, but I see you have a SPACE in the names, which were not mentioned, just update the formula to this, DON'T add names in the formula:

Book1
BCDE
2Laurie Silver1000
55/31/2018
Sheet64
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2=SUMIFS(INDIRECT("'"&B2&"'!I2:I5001"),INDIRECT("'"&B2&"'!d2:d5001"),E5)

Book1
ABCDEFGHI
2Laurie Silver5/31/20181000
3Laurie Silver4/30/20185
Laurie Silver

Upvote 0
Arrgh - that explains it then - thank you soooo much it worked this time - it's helpful when you can see what I'm doing and I now understand the formula. Have a great day. :biggrin:

Upvote 0
You're very welcome, glad you got it working.

There's no need to change/adjust the formula as you add employees/tabs, just make sure the Names in the "drop down" list Matches the Tab Names.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MhammadishaqKhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back