Suppress the Update Message

TotallyConfused

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello

I have a start-up menu program (which we’ll call ‘Program 1’) that allows users to enter certain variables, such as ‘Sales Taxes’. The users are then taken to another program (that we’ll call “Program 2’) which will automatically link to ‘Program 1’ and import the assigned values of the variables.

The moment ‘Program 2’ is called, a private sub called ‘Private Sub Workbook_Open()’ is activated. The only thing in it is the command ‘MainMenu’, which right now does nothing but hide that ‘Variables’ sheet.

My problem is that I keep getting a pop-up message telling me “This workbook contains links to other data sources.” It then explains what will happen and gives the user three options: “Update” “Don’t Update” “Help”. The option of ‘Update’ seems to be the default value. Because ‘Update’ is what I want to happen, I’ve tried inserting ‘SendKeys "%{~}", True’ in both MainMenu of Program 2 and also that private sub in an effort to suppress that pop-up message.

Recently I read where someone advised another user to use the following command to suppress user interface. It was ‘Application.DisplayAlerts = False’. I’ve tried putting this in ‘Program 2’s MainMenu and also as the first item in the private sub, but I still get the same pop-up message.

I want this program to always update, so is there any way to suppress this user prompt?

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions you may have.

TotallyConfused

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Re: How Do I Suppress the Update Message

To automatically update links when you open the workbook use UpdateLinks parameter in your code.

Code:
Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\folder\yourFile1.xlsm", UpdateLinks:=3   ' Update external links
Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\folder\yourFile2.xlsm", UpdateLinks:=0   ' Do not update links

Upvote 0

Hello

I want to THANK YOU for your quick reply. I'm at work at the moment so I can't try out your suggestion, but will do so first thing in the morning. I assume that I would put either of those lines of code in the Private Sub Workbook_Open().

I've been struggling with this problem for awhile, so it is nice to see a solution.

Thanks again,

TotallyConfused

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I assume that I would put either of those lines of code in the Private Sub Workbook_Open().
Actually, this code should be executed to open the file.

I have a start-up menu program (which we’ll call ‘Program 1’) that allows users to enter certain variables, such as ‘Sales Taxes’. The users are then taken to another program (that we’ll call “Program 2’)
From this I assume, you have xlsm files which you refer to as Program1 and Program2. In this Program1 code, you probably have a subroutine which, in response to some user action, opens the Program2 file with statement Workbooks.Open "secondfile.xlsm". It is this specific line of code that must be modified to add the UpdateLinks parameter to supress the Update Links prompt.

Upvote 0

Actually, this code should be executed to open the file.

From this I assume, you have xlsm files which you refer to as Program1 and Program2. In this Program1 code, you probably have a subroutine which, in response to some user action, opens the Program2 file with statement Workbooks.Open "secondfile.xlsm". It is this specific line of code that must be modified to add the UpdateLinks parameter to supress the Update Links prompt.

Hello
I want to apologize to you for taking so long to reply to your solution to my problem. A family illness has kept me otherwise occupied. I did use your information and added that bit of code to the end of my Workbooks.Open ‘secondfile.xlsm’ command. It worked beautifully. THANK YOU! It is so nice not to see those update reminders all the time.

For your information, you are right in your assumptions about the relationship between my ‘Program 1’ and ‘Program 2’. Number one is simply a menu program. The sheet consists of several buttons the user can click on, depending on what they want to do, which will then take them to various other programs, (Program 2).

Being a new comer to Excel and VBA, I have struggled with this series of programs for quite some time. I have no idea how many hours (actually more like days) I’ve spent searching and reading through the associated help files, looking for some specific solution to a problem I faced at that time. Most of my coding so far has been the result of a great deal of trial and error activities. I’ve learned more since I found and joined this wonderful site, than I did in all that time before. This place, and you ‘experts’ have been a virtual gold mine of information to me. I can’t begin to express my gratitude to you and the others that have offered solutions to my questions. All I can say is THANK YOU, but that hardly seems enough.

Thanks again for your help

TotallyConfused (yes, I’m still that way sometimes)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suresh215

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back