Text to Text Conditional Formatting

rpthorsen

Hello all, I'm new to the site, but have had many solutions in the past come from here.

I am currently working on a tool for my workplace where I use conditional formatting.
My first challenge was to have row colors change according to todays date, but managed that.
My second challenge was to render the first color mute if new information had been input, and managed that as well.
I've also added drop-boxes and filters, so I wouldn't call myself an excel newbie, but what I do seem to have problems with is conditionally formatting text in one cell based on the text of another.

I am sure there is probably a simple solution (function) to this, but I would be lying if I said I've read up on my excel formulas lately.

I was also wondering if it was possible to add another dropdown box within a conditional formatting.

The set up I am running now is as follows:

Project
Primary Filter
Secondary Filter
Transmittal
Date Sent
Date Due
C1
HS
515-HS-0005
C2
-
587-0002
C3
SCI38
417-0001
C4
B21
473-2002
C3
SCI38-1
417-I-0001
C1
GS515-GS-0012

<tbody>
</tbody>

So as you can see, there are quite a bit of information here.

The drop-down boxes in the project column allows me to select the correct project, but I was a conditional formatting rule to change the primary formatting to the correct number.
Also, if there would be an oportunity to change the secondary filter to a drop-down box so to select the correct portion of the project would be awesome as well.

As I said, I do not need cell or font color changes, that is allready taken care of.

Thank you :)

- rp

(Oh, I am using Excel 07)

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Welcome to the Board!
The drop-down boxes in the project column allows me to select the correct project, but I was a conditional formatting rule to change the primary formatting to the correct number.
Also, if there would be an oportunity to change the secondary filter to a drop-down box so to select the correct portion of the project would be awesome as well.
If I understand you correctly, it sounds like you are not looking to change the formatting, but rather the contents of a cell. Is that correct?
If so, you would NOT use Conditional Formatting to do that. As its name implies, Conditional Formatting can only change formatting of a cell, not the contents.

Perhaps what you are looking for is a VLOOKUP formula, where you lookup some value and return another value based on that lookup. Take a look at Excel's built-in help files for explanations and examples of how this works.

If I have misunderstood your question, please try to clarify it, maybe walk us through an actual example with the data you posted.

Upvote 0
Yes you are most likely correct. I am NOT trying to format the cell. Do you perhaps know how I would formulate this VLOOKUP formula?

Upvote 0
Did you look at the documentation/example of the VLOOKUP function?
Take a look at it, and give it a shot. If you run into troubles implementing it, post back here withe the specific details of what is tripping you up.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hokjock

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back