The best way to add to long list of values from multiple sheets

oliviar

Board Regular
Hi Guys,
This has no code, just a lot of data.
Each week I receive 20 - 30 workbooks filled with numbers that have to be added to the tally next to names on a masterlist.

There are 6000 names on the masterlist, and each workbook will be adding a few to the tally next to some (but not all) of the names.

Each name on the master list has a unique key number, and each individual workbook also references the master key (as well as the name)
I need a way to copy and paste (or whatever ) match up the master keys on each document and add to the tally.

How would you solve this so that it can be done reliably, and reletively quickly, each week? :cool:

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Hi. I'd use a database type approach - via VBA & ADO using UPDATE queries. Probably in an add-in file. Loop through the new datafiles; UPDATE queries like below. With none of the files needing to open and using ADO, execution should be quick. HTH, Fazza

Code:
UPDATE MasterList ML
INNER JOIN SomeData SD ON ML.Key = SD.Key
SET ML.Tally = ML.Tally + SD.Tally

Upvote 0
Hi Fazza,
That looks very impressive, but I don't know how to use it!
Can you elaborate a little more?

Upvote 0
Well, VBA is for programming in Excel & ADO is to work with databases. If you're not familiar with these, you might find it better to use different approach.

Upvote 0
If I dump the new data into a spare worksheet on the masterfile, can VB then be used to compare the new data to the masterfile, and add the values when the names match? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Yes. Simple might be via temporary extra field on the master list. Such as a SUMIF using the key to return the new data value in a new column. These will be zero where no match was found. Then pastespecial values these over the pre-existing tallys, & erase the temporary field.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rscraig11

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back