Time Series Analysis - Predict Next Number Algorithm

ccondran08

Hi, looking for some assistance here for a systematic way to help predict the next time series number after adding new numbers each day. I have 1,595 lines data that consists of the follow values from 0 to 4;
- 0 (694 times - 42.9%)
- 1 (649 times - 40.7%)
- 2 (226 times - 14.2%)
- 3 (31 times - 1.9%)
- 4 (5 times - 0.3%)
The data starts of with numbered on the left from 1 to 1595 then the numbers mentioned above in the middle and the accumulated sum on the right. This gives the accumulated sum column an equation of Y = 0.7608x + 3.6121 and R squared figure of 0.9998.
- 1 - 2 - 2
- 2 - 0 - 2
- 3 - 2 - 4
- . .
- 1594 - 2 - 1213
- 1595 - 1 - 1214
I am currently using a Nearest Neighbour algorithm to predict the number and can get around 40% predicted right using Microsoft Excel. If anyone has any information out there that can help me with this problem to increase my prediction rate then I will be greatly appreciated. I've been stuck on this formula and is doing my head in. Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
if you had a million rows 1 could be the most frequent figure. You seem to be trying to guess short term blips. But anyway please tell us how the 0 to 4 values are produced, eg football scores, random number indicator, customer complaints per day. The type of data is a clue as to how to analyse it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhester2010

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back