Too many arguments

nikwak

I am trying to get rid of the 0 in a chart by replacing it with #N/A. The cell in the chart takes its addition from other sheets in the same workbook. I have googled this to find out the best way but when I try to use the method described, I get the error message that there are too many arguments. I have tried a couple of solutions but nothing seems to work.

Basically, I have a chart that is taking it's totals from other cells in other worksheets. However, I don't want the 0 to show on the chart so want to replace it with the #N/A. I have used the IF formula as follows:

=IF(Salford!X8,Wolverhampton!W7,Newcastle!X8,Northampton!S8,Nottingham!W8,Sheffield!M8,Edinburgh!S8,Bradford!H7,Canterbury!V7,Glasgow!N5,Cardiff!E8,Southampton!X8,Wimbledon!N6,'Milton Keynes'!N5)=0,#N/A,Salford!X8,Wolverhampton!W7,Newcastle!X8,Northampton!S8,Nottingham!W8,Sheffield!M8,Edinburgh!S8,Bradford!H7,Dublin!B8,Canterbury!V7,Glasgow!N5,Cardiff!E8,Southampton!X8,Wimbledon!N6,'Milton Keynes'!N5)

I'm obviously putting this in a way that Excel doesn't recognise but could someone help me out with this please?

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Your formula makes no sense, I'm afraid. IF takes 3 arguments:
1. Something to evaluate as either True or False
2. What to do if it's True
3. What to do if it's False.

You've passed 15 arguments.

Without any context as to where you are putting this, you either need the OR function, or 15 separate formulas. Exactly where are you putting this formula and what do you expect it to return - one value or 15?

Upvote 0
Your formula makes no sense, I'm afraid. IF takes 3 arguments:
1. Something to evaluate as either True or False
2. What to do if it's True
3. What to do if it's False.

You've passed 15 arguments.

Without any context as to where you are putting this, you either need the OR function, or 15 separate formulas. Exactly where are you putting this formula and what do you expect it to return - one value or 15?

Firstly - I got this formula from another excel site so I didn't actually make it up lol.

I want to add cells together from other sheets in the same workbook but if the cells are blank then I don't want it to return a 0 but to return a #N/A so that the chart will ignore it. So I want one value returned

Upvote 0
There's no adding going on there currently - I think you missed a SUM out:

=IF(SUM(Salford!X8,Wolverhampton!W7,Newcastle!X8,Northampton!S8,Nottingham!W8,Sheffield!M8,Edinburgh!S8,Bradford!H7,Canterbu ry!V7,Glasgow!N5,Cardiff!E8,Southampton!X8,Wimbledon!N6,'Milton Keynes'!N5)=0,NA(),SUM(Salford!X8,Wolverhampton!W7,Newcastle!X8,Northampton!S8,Nottingham!W8,Sheffield!M8,Edinburgh!S8,Bradford!H7,Dublin!B8, Canterbury!V7,Glasgow!N5,Cardiff!E8,Southampton!X8,Wimbledon!N6,'Milton Keynes'!N5))

Note the use of NA() to return a #N/A error.

Upvote 0
There's no adding going on there currently - I think you missed a SUM out:

=IF(SUM(Salford!X8,Wolverhampton!W7,Newcastle!X8,Northampton!S8,Nottingham!W8,Sheffield!M8,Edinburgh!S8,Bradford!H7,Canterbu ry!V7,Glasgow!N5,Cardiff!E8,Southampton!X8,Wimbledon!N6,'Milton Keynes'!N5)=0,NA(),SUM(Salford!X8,Wolverhampton!W7,Newcastle!X8,Northampton!S8,Nottingham!W8,Sheffield!M8,Edinburgh!S8,Bradford!H7,Dublin!B8, Canterbury!V7,Glasgow!N5,Cardiff!E8,Southampton!X8,Wimbledon!N6,'Milton Keynes'!N5))

Note the use of NA() to return a #N/A error.

Ah - I see! Sorry I can be a but slow at times with stuff like this. I'll give that a try and thank you in advance for your help. It truly is appreciated

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back