Transaction Matching and Naming

rogerlloyd

My Excel data table has 100K rows. The rows in column A are reference numbers ending in either ".0" or ".1". Corresponding rows in column B have a transaction name but only where the column A reference ends with ".0". There are no transaction names in column B where column A rows end with a ".1" reference.

I need to create a column C with transaction names corresponding to all rows. For example, a column A row reference of "123456.0" should be matched to reference "123456.1" and return the appropriate transaction name from column B corresponding to the "123456.0" reference. So if the transaction name for "123456.0" is "Procurement 1" then reference "123456.1" should also be "Procurement 1".

I suceeded in using an index formula to provide the correct result but the calculations for 100K rows that's several minutes to complete, so I need a different solution. IF(RIGHT([@Reference2],1)="1",INDEX(tblEXEC,MATCH([@Reference]&".0",[Reference2],0),MATCH("PR",tblEXEC[#Headers],0)),[@PR]))

I'm open to another formula or vba code. Any help would be appreciated.

Column A

Column B
Procurement 1
-
-
Procurement 2
-

Column C
Procurement 1
Procurement 1
Procurement 1
Procurement 2
Procurement 2

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Hi,

Just wondering, but are you saying that you need these formulas constantly linked (I.e. Live), is that what's causing the issue re: calculation time?

I was just wondering why you can't copy & paste special values the formulas once they have ran (Even if this takes a few minutes) and then you will have the list you need?

Or am I missing something where this would create an issue?

APologies for the questions, but understanding the above would help in trying to provide a solution ......

Upvote 0
ChrisR,

Thank you for your reply. You are exactly right - I do need the formulas constantly linked and it is resulting in the slow recalculation time. I can definitely copy and paste values and that is a good solution, but there are a lot of moving pieces to this spreadsheet which will be used by others, so I'm trying to make it as user friendly as possible. Automating the spreadsheet as much as possible to avoid situations where a user would have to know and remember to copy and paste.

I wonder if there is a vba solution that might recalculate faster.

Thanks, Roger

Upvote 0
ChrisR,

Thank you for your reply. You are exactly right - I do need the formulas constantly linked and it is resulting in the slow recalculation time. I can definitely copy and paste values and that is a good solution, but there are a lot of moving pieces to this spreadsheet which will be used by others, so I'm trying to make it as user friendly as possible. Automating the spreadsheet as much as possible to avoid situations where a user would have to know and remember to copy and paste.

I wonder if there is a vba solution that might recalculate faster.

Thanks, Roger

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feaugcruz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back