True position formula

kkpp12345

I'm hoping someone can post the formula I would input into a cell to calculate true position from 2 pieces of data.
Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
I'm hoping someone can post the formula I would input into a cell to calculate true position from 2 pieces of data.
You need to provide more details than the above if you expect to get an answer to your problem. One thing you must keep in mind when you ask a question in a forum... the people you are asking to help you know absolutely nothing about your data, absolutely nothing about how it is laid out in the workbook, absolutely nothing about what you want done with it and absolutely nothing about how whatever it is you want done is to be presented back to you as a result... you must be very specific about describing each of these areas, in detail, and you should not assume that we will be able to "figure it out" on our own. Remember, you are asking us for help... so help us to be able to help you by providing the information we need to do so, even if that information seems "obvious" to you (remember, it is only obvious to you because of your familiarity with your data, its layout and the overall objective for it).

Upvote 0
Thanks. I appreciate the help.
What I'm looking to do is take numerical data from 2 cells (an X and a Y)(measured locations on a machined part) and calculate the true position for those 2 locations. The mathematical formula is:
2√(x2 + y2). I need help formatting that formula.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I appreciate the help.
What I'm looking to do is take numerical data from 2 cells (an X and a Y)(measured locations on a machined part) and calculate the true position for those 2 locations. The mathematical formula is:
2√(x2 + y2). I need help formatting that formula.
Assuming the two cells are A1 and B1, put this formula in, say, cell C1...

=2*SQRT(A1+B1)

Upvote 0
Assuming the two cells are A1 and B1, put this formula in, say, cell C1...

=2*SQRT(A1+B1)

Sorry to revive such an old post but this came up as a top response when googling "True position formula for excel". I just wanted to point out to anyone else that ended up here that unless your excel columns for delta to nominal are already squared then you have to square them in the formula:

My Column A contains the delta from measured value for X position and Nominal value for X position
My Column B contains the delta from measured value for Y position and Nominal value for Y position

The formula that works to calculate true position for this data arrangement is:

=2*SQRT((A1*A1)+(B1*B1))

Hope that helps

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jahmia0616

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back