trying to fix formula to leave blank when no data entered

JMITCH26

Board Regular
Trying to get this to be blank when no data has been entered. Currently, if there is no data put in yet it puts up an L

=IF(A2="","",IF(A2>2500,"H","L"))

any help on this will be great.

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
It's no clear in which way the formula you have does not satisfy.

But, expecting numeric data in A2, the following would be more appropriate:

=IF(ISNUMBER(A2),IF(A2>2500,"H","L"),"")

Upvote 0
<b>Sheet2</b><br /><br /><table border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" style="font-family:Calibri,Arial; font-size:11pt; background-color:#ffffff; padding-left:2pt; padding-right:2pt; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:64px;" /><col style="width:64px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td > </td><td >A</td><td >B</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >1</td><td style="text-align:center; ">1</td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Courier New; font-size:9pt; text-align:center; ">L</td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >2</td><td > </td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Courier New; font-size:9pt; "> </td></tr><tr style="height:19px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >3</td><td style="text-align:center; ">3000</td><td style="color:#333333; font-family:Courier New; font-size:9pt; text-align:center; ">H</td></tr></table><br /><table style="font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; border-style: groove ;border-color:#00ff00;background-color:#fffcf9; color:#000000; "><tr><td ><b>Spreadsheet Formulas</b></td></tr><tr><td ><table border = "1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" style="font-family:Arial; font-size:9pt;"><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; font-size:10pt;"><td >Cell</td><td >Formula</td></tr><tr><td >B1</td><td >=IF(A1="","",IF<span style=' color:008000; '>(A1>2500,"H","L")</span>)</td></tr><tr><td >B2</td><td >=IF(A2="","",IF<span style=' color:008000; '>(A2>2500,"H","L")</span>)</td></tr><tr><td >B3</td><td >=IF(A3="","",IF<span style=' color:008000; '>(A3>2500,"H","L")</span>)</td></tr></table></td></tr></table> <br />Excel tables to the web - Excel Jeanie Html 4

Upvote 0
How does that differ from what you already had, i.e. =IF(A2="","",IF(A2>2500,"H","L")) ?

yeah, it looks like I had it right but it was not working for me but then when I copy and paste what he wrote it worked I must have had an error some how when I typed it in. my mistake

Upvote 0
yeah, it looks like I had it right but it was not working for me but then when I copy and paste what he wrote it worked I must have had an error some how when I typed it in. my mistake

Ok, try to type Mitch in A2. Do you get what you expect?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolasmith

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back