Two part problem: 1- If a cell in a column in blank, return value in a cell in the same row, but different column

excellearner17

Second part is based on the row number of the returned cell value, match other two columns. Maybe an example will make this more clear:

From the raw data I want to extract the program name whenever there is no responsible person assigned (cell blank), After I want to be able to match the sub-program and task with the right program
Key facts:
- The list is long, so I need a formula that can continue to scan down, even if more rows are added
- The raw data and output will be in separate tabs

Raw data
ProgramSub-programTaskResponsible person
Office
SuppliesContact suppliersKevin
OfficeSuppliesPay suppliersJessica
OfficeRecruitmentContact agencies
Home*******Monthly shoppingPaul

<tbody>
</tbody>

Output
ProgramSub-programTask
OfficeRecruitmentContact agencies

<tbody>
</tbody>

Any help much much appreciated! :)
****** id="cke_pastebin" style="position: absolute; top: 214.667px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; left: -1000px;">
ProgramSub-programTask

<tbody>
</tbody>

</body>

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
The macro assumes that your raw data is in Sheet1 and copying will be done to Sheet2. Change the sheet names to suit your needs.
Code:
Sub ReturnVal()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim LastRow As Long
    LastRow = Cells.Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row
    Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1:D" & LastRow).AutoFilter Field:=4, Criteria1:="="
    Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A2:D" & LastRow).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).EntireRow.Copy Sheets("Sheet2").Cells(Sheets("Sheet2").Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
    If Sheets("Sheet1").AutoFilterMode = True Then Sheets("Sheet1").AutoFilterMode = False
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
excellearner17,

I would suggest a simple macro for this problem rather than a formula. My suggestion is to create a button on the output sheet and click it every time you would like to find this information. To ensure there are not errors, make sure the sheet names match those in the code, or change accordingly.

Code:
Sub Test()

rawdataLR = Sheets("[B]Raw Data[/B]").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
    outputLR = Sheets("[B]Output[/B]").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

'Clear Output sheets so no duplicate values are added
    If outputLR > 1 Then
        Sheets("[B]Output[/B]").Range("A2:C" & outputLR).ClearContents
    End If

'Place blank raw data in output sheet
    For Each cell In Sheets("[B]Raw Data[/B]").Range("D2:D" & rawdataLR)
        If cell.Value = "" Then
            With Sheets("[B]Output[/B]")
                LR = Sheets("[B]Output[/B]").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

.Range("A" & LR + 1).Value = Sheets("[B]Raw Data[/B]").Range("A" & cell.Row).Value
                .Range("B" & LR + 1).Value = Sheets("[B]Raw Data[/B]").Range("B" & cell.Row).Value
                .Range("C" & LR + 1).Value = Sheets("[B]Raw Data[/B]").Range("C" & cell.Row).Value
            End With
        End If
    Next cell

End Sub

Let me know if you need help figuring out how to run this.

Bill

Upvote 0
Sorry..a minor change:
Code:
Sub ReturnVal()
    Dim LastRow As Long
    LastRow = Cells.Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row
    Sheets("Sheet2").UsedRange.ClearContents
    Sheets("Sheet1").Rows(1).EntireRow.Copy Sheets("Sheet2").Cells(1, 1)
    Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A2:D" & LastRow).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).EntireRow.Copy Sheets("Sheet2").Cells(Sheets("Sheet2").Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
    If Sheets("Sheet1").AutoFilterMode = True Then Sheets("Sheet1").AutoFilterMode = False
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi Bill and Mumps,

Thank you for your prompt response. Maybe one thing I should have mentioned - This workbook will later be shared with other people, so I need a formula rather than a button. Is this possible?
Also my experience with Macros is non-existent, so if there is a formula to do this I would prefer it (as I can later explain to the people I am sharing it with)
Cheers!

Upvote 0
I don't know about a formula but a macro would be easier for other people because all they would have to do is click a button. The macro is also flexible in that if you add more row it takes that into account automatically. If you want to give it a try, do the following: Hold down the ALT key and press the F11 key. This will open the Visual Basic Editor. In the menu at the top click 'Insert' and then click 'Module'. Copy and paste the macro into the empty code window that opens up. Close the code module window to return to your sheet. Insert a button on your sheet and assign the macro to it. Click it and you're done.

Upvote 0
Thank you, apologies if it's a silly question, but can I just leave the button "on" all the time so that whenever the workbook is open or updated it automatically updates my output tab with the latest version of the table?

Upvote 0
Yes, follow these instructions and then paste in the code below.

• Open the excel workbook
  • Press Alt+F11 to open VBA Editor
  • Double click on ThisWorkbook from Project Explorer
  • Copy the above code and Paste in the code window
  • Save the file as macro enabled workbook
  • Open the workbook to test it, it will Run a Macro Automatically. You should see a message box as shown above

Code:
Sub Workbook_Open()

rawdataLR = Sheets("Raw Data").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
    outputLR = Sheets("Output").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

'Clear Output sheets so no duplicate values are added
    If outputLR > 1 Then
        Sheets("Output").Range("A2:C" & outputLR).ClearContents
    End If

'Place blank raw data in output sheet
    For Each cell In Sheets("Raw Data").Range("D2:D" & rawdataLR)
        If cell.Value = "" Then
            With Sheets("Output")
                LR = Sheets("Output").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

.Range("A" & LR + 1).Value = Sheets("Raw Data").Range("A" & cell.Row).Value
                .Range("B" & LR + 1).Value = Sheets("Raw Data").Range("B" & cell.Row).Value
                .Range("C" & LR + 1).Value = Sheets("Raw Data").Range("C" & cell.Row).Value
            End With
        End If
    Next cell

MsgBox "Updated upon opening complete"
End Sub

Upvote 0
That can certainly be done. Hold down the ALT key and press the F11 key. This will open the Visual Basic Editor. In the left hand pane, double click on ThisWorkbook. Copy/paste the following macro into the code window that opens up. Close the window to return to your sheet. Save the workbook as a macro-enabled file and then close it. When you re-open the file, it will automatically update the output tab. Keep in mind that the update will only happen when you open the workbook. You could also have the output tab updated when you save the workbook or close the workbook or have all three options to work for you. If you're interested in doing that, please let me know.
Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    Dim LastRow As Long
    Sheets("Sheet2").UsedRange.ClearContents
    Sheets("Sheet1").Rows(1).EntireRow.Copy Sheets("Sheet2").Cells(1, 1)
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back