Unable to save edits to xlam

cuddling101

Office Version:Office 2010 Operating System:Windows 7 Program:Excel

I have opened my xlsm spreadsheet and then proceeded via the View Code link to edit code in my loaded xlam, which I have previously written.

Though I can edit the code, I cannot then save it.

I get the message

Microsoft Office Excel cannot access the file 'C\Program Files (x86)\MyExcelAdd-Ins\94ED8D40'. There are several possible reasons:

• The file name or path does not exist.
  • The file is being used by another program.
  • The workbook you are trying to save has the same name as a currently open workbook.
I have noticed that each time I have tried, I received a different last 8 digit hex string, but the rest of the message was always the same.

This is the first time I have tried to edit the macro since transferring the workbook and add-in to Windows 7, from my previous XP machine. The transferred spreadsheet and add-in functionality has been working perfectly. It is just that now I have to make some edits to the macro, and it won't let me.

Maybe my approach to doing the edits is wrong. It happily saved the edits that were done in the module1 area of the spreadsheet itself. It just wouldn't accept the edits of the xlam.

I learn from another board that I am not alone with this problem, somebody else is experiencing the same thing.

Any ideas please.:(:confused:

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
You8 could try saving it down as a regular xlsm file and modifying it in this state then saving back down as an xlam file.

When in the VBE, open up the Immediate Window (Ctrl+G) and type in (amending as necessary):

Workbooks("MyXLAMfilename.xlam").IsAddin = False
Workbooks("MyXLAMfilename.xlam").SaveAs "C:\SomeFolder\MyWorkingFile",xlWorkbookNormal

press Enter after each line and then continue working in the (now) xlsx/m file. Then, when finished save back down as an add-in.

Upvote 0
Your add-in isn't read-only by any chance is it?

Upvote 0
Excel should have registered your files when installing 2010 but just in case you could try

1. associating the xlam files with 2010 - using thefile 'open with' dialog.

or

2. Start>Run "C:\Path to 2010\excel.exe" /regserver

note "space here /

Upvote 0
My understanding is that, according to the product team, the /regserver and /unregserver switches were discontinued with 2007. Using the repair feature is the recommended option.

Upvote 0
1. associating the xlam files with 2010 - using thefile 'open with' dialog.

Please explain just a bit more about what you mean here. I am just not sure EXACTLY what to do, and from within what part of the windows/excel environment.

Thank you

Philip:confused:

Upvote 0
As far as I can tell, your issue has nothing to do with file associations (since you are not having an issue trying to open files from explorer)

Upvote 0
Browse to your add-in in Explorer, right-click it and choose Properties. See if the Read-only box is checked.

Upvote 0
Right click on the xlam file --> Properties.
The read only box should be cleared.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back