Unique identifier in an array

toongal12

Board Regular
I need to create a formula that if compared with a date, it can tell me the most recent version of an item. So if I insert 8/12/16 for Item-001, it will return 2.

The dates and items are in no order

ItemCompleted DateVersion
Item-0019/1/163
Item-0016/1/121
Item-0017/1/142
Item-00210/1/171
Item-00211/1/181
Item-0029/1/16(cell is blank)
Date comparison8/12/16

<tbody>
</tbody>

My array is trying to output Version. Some items have the same date, so I make it match the last three digits of the Item to the date to create a "unique" identifier.

My problem is the identifier can sometimes match another item number and date combination, so now it doesn't work. I wasn't sure how to change it.

={INDEX(C2:C7,MATCH(RIGHT(A2,3)+LARGE(IF((A2:A7=A2)*(B2:B7<=C9),B2:B7),1),B2:B7+RIGHT(A2:A7,3),0))}

No, 12th Aug 2017 is before 1st Oct 2017! I'm using UK date format :)

Suggest you try it entered as an array, then if it doesn't work as you want post sample showing answer you expect.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.

Suggest you try it entered as an array, then if it doesn't work as you want post sample showing answer you expect.
Can you post a picture of your excel using the formula. I did enter it as an array and it still gives #VALUE.

Upvote 0
Post your sample, showing the formula. I can't post a pic. the formula is exactly as i posted earlier.

Upvote 0

My data comes from a pivot table.

Entered as an ARRAY.

{=INDEX(ItemData[Version],MATCH(RIGHT($A2,3)+LARGE(IF((ItemData[ItemName]=$A2)*(ItemData[CompletedDate]<=$D$1),ItemData[CompletedDate]),1),ItemData[CompletedDate]+RIGHT(ItemData[ItemName],3),0))}

A2=item I want
D1=date that is being compared

It creates an identifier by combing the Item number and date to one number. The problem is another item and date can equal the same number. So it won't know which one to pick.

Item---------CompletedDate------Version
Item-001----8/2/16----------------1
Item-001----9/1/17----------------2
Item-001----10/1/18---------------3
Item-002----8/1/16----------------2
Item-002----9/2/17----------------3

If I try to use my formula for Item-001 for 8/3/16, depending on how the data is sorted, it can choose either Version 1 or 2 because Item-001 and 002 have the same total date/number combination.

I need possibly a string for it to connect Item-001 to the date, instead of combination.

Upvote 0
You have missed the bit that matches the Item No.!

MATCH(1,IF(RIGHT($A2,3)=??,

If this is stored in a cell then use the ref, if not enter as text e.g. "002"

Upvote 0
You have missed the bit that matches the Item No.!

MATCH(1,IF(RIGHT($A2,3)=??,

If this is stored in a cell then use the ref, if not enter as text e.g. "002"

What is ref? Items in column have to be format "Item-001". There are many items so I cannot make special cases.

{=INDEX(ItemData[Version],MATCH(1,IF(RIGHT($A2,3)=$A2,IF(ItemData[CompletedDate]<=$D$1,1))))}

Now returns #N/A

Upvote 0
I'm confused now!

Your original post implied you want to return the "latest" Version number for a specific Item, is this not the case?

Upvote 0
I'm confused now!

Your original post implied you want to return the "latest" Version number for a specific Item, is this not the case?

You said "If this is stored in a cell then use the ref, if not enter as text e.g. "002" <--- I'm assuming the "002" is to be manually typed for RIGHT($A2,3)="002", which I cannot do. It needs to be all done automatically, which is why I put RIGHT($A2,3)=$A2

Yes, I want the latest version compared to a specific date. I copied your formula, but it did not work. What did I do wrong?

{=INDEX(ItemData[Version],MATCH(1,IF(RIGHT($A2,3)=$A2,IF(ItemData[CompletedDate]<=$D$1,1))))}

Upvote 0
I'm confused because you are using A2 as the ref in your formula! Is A2 the 1st item in the list? Or a reference cell with the Item you want to find?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chislobog

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back