Unique values in dropdown without creating another list?

Mr__P

I have a dropdown that gets its reference indirectly from another cell.

The referenced list is a table column that will contain any digit from 1 to 9 but not necessarily all of them and some will appear more than once.

I can find lots of way to extract those unique values but This would mean creating another named range instead of just using the names of the table columns as the reference.

I'm hoping someone can work out maybe a nested formula to use in the data validation formula so my drop down just shows the unique available values.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Mr__P

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Code:
=INDEX(List,MATCH(0,IF(ISBLANK(List),"",COUNTIF($B$1:B1,List)),0))
cse (paste in B2 down, list is any range)

Upvote 0
=INDEX((INDIRECT("tracker["&$C$3&"]")),MATCH(0,IF(ISBLANK((INDIRECT("tracker["&$C$3&"]"))),"",COUNTIF($B$1:B1, (INDIRECT("tracker["&$C$3&"]")))),0))

This is what I have just tried in the data validation list formula box, swapping where it says "list" for the reference cell but it is only returning one value. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Upvote 0
did you first get the list of unique items? That is what my code was trying to do for you. Once you get that, you can do something like:

=OFFSET(tracker!$C$3,0,0,COUNTIF(tracker!$C$3:$C$65536,"> ")) in the data validation box so it only shows the visible results

Upvote 0
did you first get the list of unique items? That is what my code was trying to do for you. Once you get that, you can do something like:

=OFFSET(tracker!$C$3,0,0,COUNTIF(tracker!$C$3:$C$65536,"> ")) in the data validation box so it only shows the visible results

I was hoping. Got there would be a way to place the whole function into the validation box so I wouldn't need to have a separate list somewhere in the workbook.

Do you think it's possible?

Thanks

Upvote 0
I was hoping there would be a way to place the whole function into the validation box so I wouldn't need to have a separate list somewhere in the workbook.

Do you think it's possible?

Thanks

(Phone autocorrect)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tungnmqn90

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back