'Unreadable Content Error' -- Please Help

Snakehips

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
I apologise if this is a bit long-winded, but can anybody explain the following? I have a large Excel 2007 workbook that is highly automated using vba. Over the last two years the file has been used successfully and develped on an ongoing basis. I do all the automation on PC - A, running XP Professional. A colleague on PC - B or on PC - C, both running XP Home, does other Excel development and actually uses the file. Because PC - A is remote from PCs -B&C, the files are passed back and forth by email as necessary.

The last file emailed by me, when opened on PC B or C, opened with... 'Excel found unreadable content in 'filename'. Do you want to recover the contents of this workbook? If you trust the source of this workbook, click Yes.'
If you do click Yes, the error report then says it has removed 'Named Range from /xlworkbook.xml part (Workbook)' and '(Repaired)' is appended to the filename.
The repaired file would appear to function ok but the sudden manifestation of this error is a worry.
The first reaction to this error was that I had somehow corrupted the file before emailing for use on PCs B/C

In an effort to understand the problem, the offending un-repaired,file was emailed back to me.
The file opened perfectly ok on my PC -A !!!
The file was emailed to an independent third-party and opened successfully on their PC !!!
Why should it suddenly throw up an error on PCs B&C ??

Subsequent tests on PC - B show that the file will NOT open without error whilst it is in it's Normal Folder, where it has been for the last two years. However if you create a New Folder that is outside of the Normal Folder's Parent Folder and move the file to the New Folder, THE FILE OPENS WITHOUT ERROR!!

NB The workbook does not contain Pivot Tables or utilise KPI's

Thank you in anticipation to anyone who can help me understand what is going on here.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
My initial thought was going to be 'pivot table' until I saw that you said there were not any in the workbook. I don't know why, but I have had such problem with pivot tables being the cause, in the past.
The other cause that I have found is the length of the 'pathname'.
However if you create a New Folder that is outside of the Normal Folder's Parent Folder and move the file to the New Folder, THE FILE OPENS WITHOUT ERROR!!
This could be the cause of the problem as that has happened to me and I did keep shortening the pathname until I found that it worked - unfortunately I cannot remember what that limit was.
The following may also be of interest:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247(v=vs.85).aspx

Upvote 0
Hi Dereck,
Thank you for showing an interest.
However, I doubt that length of pathname is the cause. The pathname is not at all long and the path has been consistent for two years without any issue.

I don't know about you, but when these sort of things crop up my first reaction is to think 'what have I done wrong'?' The updates I made before the file misbehaved were minor and I find it hard to believe that they were the cause.

Why did the file open with the error on TWO independent PCs (B &C) when in it's normal folder, yet opened OK in a new folder?
Why did it open without error on two other PCs?

It is critical for this file to function correctly, and a random, unexplained, error only serves to undermine confidence in it.

Fortunately, the 'repaired' file appears to be functioning perfectly in any folder on any PC!! If it continues to do so then given time, full confidence will be restored but my preference would be to understand the whys and wherefores of it.
Perhaps we will have to write it off as one of Microsoft Office Excel's little mysteries?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back