Update Power BI after importing data model?

macfuller

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a desktop PowerBI file created from a PowerPivot model using File | Import. I updated the source Excel file with a new table using PowerQuery and I would like that table to also appear in the PowerBI file. I can't figure out how to do that. If I try File | Import again it blows away my existing work, and if I try Get Data | Excel it only shows me worksheets and not data model tables.

Is there a way to get the new data model table into Power BI without having to reconstruct the whole thing?

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
I believe after the import, the data model in Power BI does not maintain a link to the original data model in Excel.

However, you can copy the query text from Power Query in Excel (via the Advanced Editor button) and paste it into the same dialog in Power BI.

Upvote 0
Thanks, that did the trick with a bit of tweaking to point it to the full file path name.

The .pbix file does refresh against the spreadsheet, but apparently just against the queries it originally imported. I haven't tested whether, if I change the query in the spreadsheet, the PowerBI refresh will read the altered query...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back