Updating a file location with Macro

Johnny Thunder

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hello Friends,

I am trying to write a macro that will update a file location based on where the file is on the server by how the user has his drives mapped.

For example; on my computer file "Cost Allocations" is on my :H Drive

But on someone elses computer "cost Allocations" is on there :G drive because of how there drives were mapped.

So when I send the file to someone I want a pop-up to show to tell the person they need to locate the file and when they find it the macro will retain the file location and update all formula's to reference that persons drive location.

Excel 2003
Any help would be appreciated!

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Wouldn't the UNC be the same regardless of what letter it's mapped to? May be better to use that rather than the drive letter...

Upvote 0
when I have the UNC in the formula it donesn't work anymore? I am not sure why?

Upvote 0
Can you post your code, I've used UNCs and never had a problem.

\\Wb\cp\apps\CPLMS\WBCP Financial Systems\PECOS\PECOS Cost Allocations\ACTUALS CK\2011\Cost Allocation Project\2011 Cost Allocation Step 1_Test.xls - This is the server location and file name.

This is the formula whee it needs to be applied too.

=SUMPRODUCT(--('Data Dump'!$G$2:$G$3435=$C2),--('Data Dump'!$J$2:$J$3435=$E2),--('Data Dump'!$K$2:$K$3435=$G2),'Data Dump'!Y$2:Y$3435)*$L2*0.77

anywhere that has the tab data dump is where the server location is not working. Someone was telling me that the reason it doenst work is because this is the server name\File name\ but the tab name is not geting pulled.

Thank you for all your help!

Upvote 0
Have a look here:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/e...age-links-to-other-workbooks-HA001054812.aspx

Towards the middle you'll see "Network drive letters in links" and see if that helps at all. It's going to be a long, nasty looking formula because of the link of your UNC, but it should work. When you said you were using a macro, I was expecting VBA not a formula. I've used UNC references in my VBA code, never in a formula, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back