use a formula to reference a sheet name. example... =(F3-14)!a1

flashgordie

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello, is there a way to use a formula to reference a sheet name. example... =(F3-14)!a1

Where F3 is a date and by misusing 14, the resulting product would be a new date. This new date would be a sheetname from which you would reference and use cell A1

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Hi Denis, Thank you for the reply, I have taken a look at your suggestion, and believe it to be on the right path, however, I am getting a '#ref' error.

Using your formula on the template worksheet =INDIRECT("'"&F3-14&"'!j35") should take the contents of F3 which is “April-12-13” and minus 14…this should give me the sheet of March-29-13! and reference J35 on sheet ”March-29-13”… but I get the ‘#REF!’ error.

Sub-note: Just to verify my date format in F3 is intact, I have completed a simple test in and adjacent cell, and when entering =f3-14, a new date is returned “March-29-13”

I wonder if something could be wrong with the worksheet name and the way it is interpreted when pulled back into the sheet.

Here is some more background…

I have a worksheet named “template”. In cells c3, d3 and e3, I ask the user to input a date by choosing month day and year in the separate dropdowns of the aforementioned cells. Then, in cell F3, I combine each of these 3 previous inputted components using …=DATE(E3,(IF(C3<>"",MONTH("1 "&C3),"")),D3) thus giving me a date. ie: April-12-13

Sub-note: Just to verify my date formation is intact, I have tested this by using =f3-14, a new date is returned “March-29-13”

I then have a macro that creates a copy of the “template” worksheet and renames the copy using the date in F3 (of template) using the following code….

Code/
sheet_name_of_copy = Format(Sheets("Template").Range("f3").Value, "mmm-dd-yy")
/Code

It works very well and produces the new sheets as required…Currently I have 4 worksheets (template, April 26-13, April-12-13, March-29-13

Now for the issue, As mentioned…. I would like to have a formula that references the newly created worksheet.

I wonder if there could be something wrong with the workseet name and the way it is interpreted when pulled back into the sheet.

Upvote 0
Just a further note on above, when I hand type =’April-12-13’!j35 it works to at least recognize the worksheet name, however I use =INDIRECT("'"&F3-14&"'!j35") and try to minus of the 14 days, it will not complete the formula. Still the error.

Upvote 0
We have a WINNER!!! Thank you very much. Both of you! Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chestertim

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back