Use row number as factor in calculation, replace original values

margieh204

I'm trying to determine the VB for a macro that will replace the values in a column by the the results of the calculation of that same value + (row number/ 100000). At the present, I am creating an additional column and using the following formula:

IF(E2>=1, (E2+(ROW(E2)/10000000000)), "")

What I need is for the resulting value to replace the original value in E2. Sorry for the redundancy. This is needed so that vlookups can be preformed on the actual values as attained through a combination of Rankings and MIN/ MAX value determinations on multiple worksheets within the same workbook. I only want to alter the original values slightly, so that the data set will contain all unique values. I need this calculation to be done to three growing columns of data.

I plan to attach this macro to a form button on the sheet where the data is located.

Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Like this?

Code:
Sub Test()
Dim x As Long
    For x = 2 To Range("E" & 1048576).End(xlUp).Row  'use 65536 instead of 1048576 if .xls format
        Range("E" & x) = Range("E" & x).Value + x / 1000000
    Next x
End Sub

Upvote 0
Rich (BB code):
    For x = 2 To Range("E" & 1048576).End(xlUp).Row  'use 65536 instead of 1048576 if .xls format
Actually, just use Rows.Count and it will work in any version of Excel automatically...
Rich (BB code):
For x = 2 To Range("E" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
I prefer to avoid the concatenation whenever possible which can be done by using Cells instead of Range...
Rich (BB code):
For x = 2 To Cells(Rows.Count, "E").End(xlUp).Row

Upvote 0
Actually, just use Rows.Count and it will work in any version of Excel automatically...

Good tip. Thanks!

I prefer to avoid the concatenation whenever possible which can be done by using Cells instead of Range...

I'm curious as to why you avoid the concatenation? I've always used it mostly because I think in terms of "A1" instead of (1,A). Does it make any difference in how the program runs or is it just a matter of preference? ...just trying to learn anything I can.

Upvote 0
I'm curious as to why you avoid the concatenation? I've always used it mostly because I think in terms of "A1" instead of (1,A). Does it make any difference in how the program runs or is it just a matter of preference? ...just trying to learn anything I can.
Pretty much a personal preference. Range using string concatenation is slower than Cells, but the time difference is nearly non-existent for today's computers. My showing both methods was more for informational purposes (let's call it a teaching moment) as opposed to offering truly more efficient code.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catterz66

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back