User form shows / hides combo box dependant on another combo box

bflare

I have a userform with a combo box where you can select various models of valves. Depending on what model you select I would like another combo box to appear which is linked to a named range. There are 6 different model number to chose from so I need 6 different combo boxes to appear & 1 free text box. I want the combo box to appear in the same place on the user form each time to prevent too much space been used. I would also like a label to appear next to the combobox but this label would also change dependant on the model selected. Is this possible?

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Hi,
You should only need a second combobox - If you have 6 named ranges the second combobox can be populated with a range based on the selection of first combobox.

something like following should do this for you

Code:
 Private Sub ComboBox1_Change()    With Me.ComboBox1
        If .ListIndex <> -1 Then
            Me.ComboBox2.List = Application.Transpose(Application.Range("Range" & .ListIndex + 1))
        Else
            Me.ComboBox2.Clear
        End If
    End With
End Sub

This just an example and assumes the ranges are Named “Range1”, “Range2” etc but you should adjust to meet specific project need as required.

Dave

Upvote 0
Hi,
You should only need a second combobox - If you have 6 named ranges the second combobox can be populated with a range based on the selection of first combobox.

something like following should do this for you

Code:
 Private Sub ComboBox1_Change()    With Me.ComboBox1
        If .ListIndex <> -1 Then
            Me.ComboBox2.List = Application.Transpose(Application.Range("Range" & .ListIndex + 1))
        Else
            Me.ComboBox2.Clear
        End If
    End With
End Sub

This just an example and assumes the ranges are Named “Range1”, “Range2” etc but you should adjust to meet specific project need as required.

Dave

Hi Dave thanks for your reply.
I am sorry, but I do not follow. Where do I put the code? Thecombo box that has the valve models in is called cboValveModel & the rangesthat I would like it to refer to dependant on what model is selected are:
Model selected in cboValveModel =
“RUBBER LINED” would link to range: RLShutOffPressure (E42)
“HIGH PERFORMANCE” would link to range: ColdOpTemp (E44)
“DISC SEAL HIGH PERFORMANCE” would link to range: DiscSealShutOffPressure(E46)
“METAL SEAL” would link to range: WarmOpTemp (E48)
“CRYOGENIC HP” would link to range: ColdOpTemp (E50)
“VULCANISED RUBBER” would link to range: VulRLShutOffPressure(E52)
I would also like the selection that is chosen in the 2ndcombo box to be linked to a different cell on a sheet called “INPUTS”. Thecells I have put in brackets above.
Hope this makes sense & you can assist?
Thanks
Tony.

Upvote 0
Hi,
the code would be placed in your forms code page

Untested but try this

Rich (BB code):
Private Sub cboValveModel_Change()
    With Me.ComboBox2
            .Clear
            .List = Application.Range(Choose(Me.cboValveModel.ListIndex + 1, _
                                             "RLShutOffPressure", "ColdOpTemp", "DiscSealShutOffPressure", _
                                             "WarmOpTemp", "ColdOpTemp", "VulRLShutOffPressure")).Value

End With
End Sub

Private Sub ComboBox2_Change()
    Index = Me.cboValveModel.ListIndex + 1
   Sheets("INPUTS").Cells(Choose(Index, 42, 44, 46, 48, 50, 52), 5).Value = Me.ComboBox2.Value
End Sub

Change ComboBox2 name as required

Dave.

Upvote 0
Hi,
the code would be placed in your forms code page

Untested but try this

Rich (BB code):
    With Me.ComboBox2
            .Clear

End With
End Sub

Sheets("INPUTS").Cells(Choose(Index, 42, 44, 46, 48, 50, 52), 5).Value = Me.ComboBox2.Value
End Sub

Change ComboBox2 name as required

Dave.

Hi Dave,

That's fantastic thanks very much!

Just 2 other things. Is it possible to have combobox2 defaulted to the first line in the range? At the moment when I switch between models in the first combo box the second combo box shows blank. I would like it to default to the first line in the range.

Also, is it possible to have a label next to the second combo box that also changes depending on what is selected in the first combobox? For instance when “RUBBER LINED” is chosen in combobox 1 I would like the label next to combobox 2 to say ” RUBBER LINED SEATING TORQUE SHUTOFF PRESSURE”. Then if “HIGH PERFORMANCE” was selected I would like the label to change to “COLD OPERATING TEMP” & so on. Is this even possible because it seems really complicated to me?

Upvote 0
Hi,

try adding following updates shown in RED.

Rich (BB code):
    With Me.ComboBox2
            .Clear

.ListIndex = 0
    End With
End Sub

Dim Index As Integer

Me.Label1.Caption = Choose(Index, "RUBBER LINED SEATING TORQUE SHUTOFF PRESSURE", "COLD OPERATING TEMP")

End Sub

You will need to complete the Choose List as required.

I omitted declaring Index variable just copy & paste where shown.

Dave

Upvote 0
Hi,

try adding following updates shown in RED.

Rich (BB code):
    With Me.ComboBox2
            .Clear

.ListIndex = 0
    End With
End Sub

Dim Index As Integer

Me.Label1.Caption = Choose(Index, "RUBBER LINED SEATING TORQUE SHUTOFF PRESSURE", "COLD OPERATING TEMP")

End Sub

You will need to complete the Choose List as required.

I omitted declaring Index variable just copy & paste where shown.

Dave

Hi Dave
The first 2 lines in red work ok & the second combo box defaultsto the first line in the range which is great. However, as soon as I run the 3rdline in red (Me.Label18.Caption = Choose(Index, "RUBBER LINED SEATINGTORQUE SHUTOFF PRESSURE", "COLD OPERATING TEMP")

I am getting a run-time error 94 invalid use of null. Thefull line is also highlighted in yellow. You said “I omitted declaring Indexvariable just copy & paste where shown.” Was this something I was supposedto add?

Also, is it possible that when I change the first combo box so I selectanother valve model it removes the information that it’s entered in the correspondingcell so for instance if I select “Rubber Lined” from combo box 1 it would linkthe second combo box to the range called RLShutOffPressure & the value I selectedfrom there would be put into cell E42 but if I then changed my mind &selected “HIGH PERFORMANCE” from the first combo box the value in thepreviously linked E42 cell would be removed?

Thanks for all your help on this its greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
Hi,
try these changes & see if they do what you want

Code:
Dim Index As Integer
Dim Row As Long
Dim wsInputs As Worksheet

If Index > 0 Then wsInputs.Cells(Row, 5).Value = ""

If Index > 0 Then
        Row = Choose(Index, 42, 44, 46, 48, 50, 52)
    With Me.ComboBox2
            .Clear
            .List = Application.Range(Choose(Index, _

.ListIndex = 0
    End With
    End If
End Sub

wsInputs.Cells(Row, 5).Value = Me.ComboBox2.Value
End Sub

Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()
Set wsInputs = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("INPUTS")

End Sub

Note the variables at the top - These MUST be placed at the TOP of your userforms code page OUTSIDE any procedure.

However, as soon as I run the 3rdline in red (Me.Label18.Caption = Choose(Index, "RUBBER LINED SEATINGTORQUE SHUTOFF PRESSURE", "COLD OPERATING TEMP")
I am getting a run-time error 94 invalid use of null.

One reason you will get that error would be if the number of elements in the choose list is lower than the value of Index variable. Did you add to list as I stated in my post?

Dave

Upvote 0
Hi,
try these changes & see if they do what you want

Code:
Dim Index As Integer
Dim Row As Long

If Index > 0 Then wsInputs.Cells(Row, 5).Value = ""

If Index > 0 Then
        Row = Choose(Index, 42, 44, 46, 48, 50, 52)
    With Me.ComboBox2
            .Clear
            .List = Application.Range(Choose(Index, _

.ListIndex = 0
    End With
    End If
End Sub

End Sub

End Sub

Note the variables at the top - These MUST be placed at the TOP of your userforms code page OUTSIDE any procedure.

One reason you will get that error would be if the number of elements in the choose list is lower than the value of Index variable. Did you add to list as I stated in my post?

Dave

Hi Dave,
Things seem to be working ok & you were right I had adifferent number of elements. There are 2 small issues. If I use the comobox cboValveModelfirst on the user form I get the run-time error 94 invalid use of null error. Butif I use any other combobox on the user form then go back to the cboValveModelit works & I get no error. Very strange? Also, I have a clear button &that seems to bring up the same error now. Here is my code on the user form:

Dim Index As Integer

Dim Row As Long

……………………………………………………………………

If Index > 0Then wsInputs.Cells(Row, 5).Value = ""
Index =Me.cboValveModel.ListIndex + 1
If Index > 0Then
Row =Choose(Index, 100, 44, 100, 46, 50, 48, 48, 42, 42, 52, 100, 100, 100, 100)
With Me.ComboBox2

.Clear
.List =Application.Range(Choose(Index, "NotApp", "ColdOpTemp","NotApp", "DiscSealShutOffPressure", "ColdOpTemp","WarmOpTemp", "WarmOpTemp", "RLShutOffPressure",_
"RLShutOffPressure", "VulRLShutOffPressure","NotApp", "NotApp", "NotApp","NotApp")).Value
.ListIndex= 0

End With
End If
End Sub
Me.Label18.Caption= Choose(Index, "", "COLD OPERATING TEMP", "","DISC SEAL SHUT OFF PRESSURE", _
"CRYOGENICOPERATING TEMP", "METAL SEAL WARM OPERATING TEMP", "METALSEAL WARM OPERATING TEMP", "RUBBER LINED SEATING TORQUE SHUTOFFPRESSURE", "RUBBER LINED SEATING TORQUE SHUTOFF PRESSURE","VULCANISED RUBBER LINED SHUT OFF PRESSURE", "","", "", "")
End Sub

End Sub
Private Sub cmdClear_Click()

Dim ctl As MSForms.Control

For Each ctl InMe.Controls

Select CaseTypeName(ctl)
Case"TextBox"
ctl.Text = ""
Case"CheckBox", "OptionButton", "ToggleButton"
ctl.Value = False
Case"ComboBox", "ListBox"
ctl.ListIndex = -1
End Select
Next ctl

End Sub
Any idea?
Thanks Tony.

Upvote 0
Hi

Rich (BB code):
        If Index < 1 Then Exit Sub

Me.Label18.Caption = Choose(Index, "", "COLD OPERATING TEMP", "", "DISC SEAL SHUT OFF PRESSURE", _
                                            "CRYOGENICOPERATING TEMP", "METAL SEAL WARM OPERATING TEMP", _
                                            "METALSEAL WARM OPERATING TEMP", _
                                            "RUBBER LINED SEATING TORQUE SHUTOFFPRESSURE", _
                                            "RUBBER LINED SEATING TORQUE SHUTOFF PRESSURE", _
                                            "VULCANISED RUBBER LINED SHUT OFF PRESSURE", "", "", "", "")
End Sub

add the line in red & see if solves your issue.

Dave

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HellScout

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back