Using an Excel 2003 on Excel 2010

matty1973

Board Regular
Hi,

Some years a go I wrote a Excel 2003 spreadsheet that produces CSV files every few seconds for someone else. They now want to use the same spreadsheet with Excel 2010. They say because 2010 is multi threaded not single threaded and it will put less pressure on the servers.

I don't understand what this means. If someone could explain what this means and if there are likely to be any compatibility issues with using a 2003 spreadsheet on 2010 then I would be very grateful. I don't have 2010 so am unable to test if the sheet will even open.

Many thanks for any general ideas/advice for areas that might cause compatibility problems.

Matt

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
VBA is only single threaded in all versions of Excel so this should not impact your coding. There are some differences between the code but these are generally limited. We can point out obvious incompatibilities if you post up your code.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the informative replies.

I have now purchased a copy of 2010 as done a full run through and as far as I can see there is no difference as when the file is run on 2003 - much as you guys said.

I've asked them to clarify what difference they are experiencing and will report back if there is indeed a compatibility issue - my feeling now though is there is not.

Many thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back