Using multiple Lookup Functions

Gaura215

Board Regular
Respected Excel Gurus

I spent nearly 2 hours daily on updating a report from a dump, which I download from a website. I am wonderin if this can be automated using some formulaes or Macro. Please help me out.

I can share the 2 spreadsheets which I need to compare. Please advice, if someone can help me with this. Its difficult to explain it in words without sharing the spreadsheets. So I will share the spreadsheet with whatever explanation I can give.

Help please :)

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Its difficult to explain it in words without sharing the spreadsheets.
You should try, and you can post small screen shots using a variety of methods - my signature block below contains several suggestions.

Being a public forum we like to keep the information/conversation "on-forum" as much as possible. Related points are 18 & 19 of the Posting Guidelines and #7 of the Forum Rules.

Apart from the above, you will get more potential helpers if you put your problem and any related information, sample data etc directly in your posts.

Upvote 0
Sure Peter, I have attached the 2 JPEG snapshots of both the reports. I will try to explain now the requirements:

1. Dump Report is the report, which I download everyday from a website, and I get to know the status(Coloum F) of that activity(Coloum A) of a particular country (Coloum D);
2. Using the report as mentioned in Step 1, I need to fill in the status in Final Report from Coloum D onwards.

So the activity name which were in Coloum A in Dump Report (Step1 above) are in Row 6 horizontly in Final Report. And the country name which were in Coloum D in Dump report are in Coloum B of Final Report.

I am looking for a code, which will match these two conditions, and show the status of that activity (Coloum F of Dump Report) in final report.

Hope I have been able to explain the requirement. Please let me know if more clarifation is required in this.

I will be extrmely thankful to everyone who can spend their precious time in helping me out.

Thanks a ton in anticipation.

Regards
Gaura215

Upvote 0
Sure Peter, I have attached the 2 JPEG snapshots of both the reports.
No doubt you have now realised that you cannot insert images that are stored on your own computer.
It is possible to store an image on a public file-sharing site and provide a link to that. The drawback with that is that a potential helper cannot copy your sample data to test. Most helpers will not bother typing a lot of sample data to test.

On the other hand, the methods in my signature block that I referred to, do allow a user to copy the data to a worksheet to test and that is much more inviting to a potential helper.

Upvote 0
Final Report Looks Like Following:
Distribute flash to managing director/ finance directorStandard monthly journalsDepreciation runFixed asset closeRevenue journals and adjustmentsFX revaluationReceive 107 and book journalInput outbound profit share to HFM
CountryPOC / Due DateWD 1WD 1WD 1WD 1WD 2WD 2WD 2WD 2
AustriaMartina Meuhauser
BelgiumErik van Zuilen
Czech RepublicIzabela Handzlik
FinlandDarren Aldous
FranceGuillaume Brun
GermanyMarco Mischon
HungaryAndrea Pasztor

<colgroup><col style="width: 104pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 5046;" width="138"> <col style="width: 124pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 6034;" width="165"> <col style="width: 51pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2486;" width="68"> <col style="width: 31pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 1499;" span="3" width="41"> <col style="width: 36pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 1755;" width="48"> <col style="width: 33pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 1609;" width="44"> <col style="width: 36pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 1755;" span="2" width="48"> <tbody>
</tbody>

Dump Report Looks like following:

Task NameDescriptionCountry NameStatus Stage
Fixed asset closeWD1ItalyOn Schedule Completed
Depreciation runWD1ItalyOn Schedule Completed
Distribute flash to managing director/ finance directorWD1HungaryOn Schedule Completed
Fixed asset closeWD1HungaryOn Schedule Completed
Depreciation runWD1HungaryOn Schedule Completed
Depreciation runWD1GermanyOn Schedule Completed
Fixed asset closeWD1GermanyOn Schedule Completed
Fixed asset closeWD1SwedenOn Schedule Completed
Depreciation runWD1SwedenOn Schedule Completed
Fixed asset closeWD1BelgiumOn Schedule Completed
Distribute flash to managing director/ finance directorWD1BelgiumOn Schedule Completed
Depreciation runWD1BelgiumOn Schedule Completed
Standard monthly journalsWD1NetherlandOn Schedule Completed
Fixed asset closeWD1NetherlandOn Schedule Completed
Distribute flash to managing director/ finance directorWD1NetherlandOn Schedule Completed
Depreciation runWD1NetherlandOn Schedule Completed
Standard monthly journalsWD1BelgiumOn Schedule Completed
Standard monthly journalsWD1FinlandOn Schedule Completed
Depreciation runWD1FinlandOn Schedule Completed
Fixed asset closeWD1FinlandOn Schedule Completed

<colgroup><col style="width: 48pt;" span="4" width="64"> <tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Let's assume that your "final report" formatted sheet starts at A1, so C5 is the first cell of the data that you need to be collecting. And we'll also assume that your data dump occurs on a sheet that we'll call "Data", starting at A1, so the range we're looking at could be A1:D1000 (could easily be more).

Then at C5 of your report sheet enter this formula:
=sumproduct(( data!$A$1:$A$1000 = C$1) * ( data!$C$1:$C$1000 = $A5))

This will give you the count of "Distribute flash to managing director (etc.) for Austria". If you copy that cell down for all countries and across for all actions, then you'll have the intersecting counts for each item / country.

This doesn't address the "status stage" datum, but presumably you have another report for that (or following this logic, you can also include that datum).

Upvote 0
On the other hand, if you have unique relationships set up between "country" & "activity" & "status", then that count is going to be meaningless, since all you want to know is the status for each activity in each country. So, a different approach:

1. In the "data" worksheet, include a column to the left of your four current data columns, and in that column enter the formula:
=D2 & B2
This is to concatenate the country & activity like so: "ItalyFixed asset close", and so on. Copy the formula down through all of your data rows.

2. On the "report" sheet at C5, use this formula:
= vlookup( $a5 & c$1, data!$a$2:$e$1000, 5, false) and copy that formula through all of your report cells.

Is that what you wanted? With the limited data set you provided (and thanks for using Peter's advice to present this in a readable way!), that seems to work from what I'm seeing, but you're the judge.

Upvote 0
Hi BleHornet

Thanks a lot for taking time and helping me out on this. Howeverm the count will remain same for all cells, as the report always have same count. The Status Stage is what keep on changing and which is to be reported.

Is their a way to report the status stage?

Upvote 0
1. Could you make clear what columns are shown in your tables? For example your Dump Report table has 4 columns but your description of it in post #3 refers to columns A, D and F in that report.

2. Could you show us the final report with the expected results for the sample data shown together with any further explanation about how the results would be calculated?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chestertim

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back