Using Named Ranges as the LOOKUP_VALUE in Index-Match Formula

kgardner

Hello All,

I have a database of information with account numbers, product types and balances. Each account number has only 1 product type and the balance changes daily. I have a "product key" which I have listed the different product categories separated by the product types that make them up (i.e. Commercial = 1, 2, 3, 4.. & Consumer = 11, 12, 13, 14...). I named the commercial products types (range A2:a10) "Comm" and the consumer product types (range b2:b10) "Consumer."

I want to transfer all of the Commercial accounts from the primary database (worksheet "Data") to a separate worksheet (worksheet "Commercial") and for this to update automatically upon refresh. This data is no available through access, I have to import from a outside database to excel and then sort.

I have tried many different look-up functions and all have failed, including:

A. This method produces 1 correct result and then repeats
Code:
{=INDEX('Data'!A:A, MATCH(Comm, 'Data'!C:C,0))}

B. This method produces #N/A
Code:
 {=INDEX('Data'!A:A, SMALL(IF('Data'!C:C = "Comm", ROW('Data'!C:C)), ROW('$A$2:A2)))}

To simplify my request: I need to look up the account numbers from a database that match a specific product group, which is made up of a list of possible product types.

That formula only works for the 1st account number. It is not returning the 2nd and 3rd account number.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Works for me

Make sure you're entering it in A2 as an array with CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER
Then Fill down.

Upvote 0
That solution only scratches the surface. I have 20,000+ accounts with unique account numbers and repeating product types. The index-match formula as you write it only returns the 1st match between the 'Data' worksheet and 'Product Key' worksheet as well as numerous #N/A values from accounts with consumer product types.

Is there a way for excel to use multiple criteria in a lookup formula the same way you can use multiple criteria in a sumproduct or sumif formula? Again, I am somewhat familiar with VBA if that is viable.

I have just discovered the use of multiple criteria in Index/match statements. Basically, you concatenate your match criteria and arrays with "&". These have to be executed as an array, though, using Ctrl+Shift+Enter to calculate. For example, here's one of mine that matches two values from two different columns as the first Match statement (to define the row of Index), then a single Match criteria and range for the column-portion of index:

={IFERROR((INDEX($B$2:$AZ$5001,MATCH("Y"&$AA2,$I$2:$I$5001&$AA$2:$AA$5001,0),MATCH("Test EFT (h)",$B$1:$AZ$1,0))),"")}

The curly brackets get applied on execution.

Upvote 0
I have just discovered the use of multiple criteria in Index/match statements. Basically, you concatenate your match criteria and arrays with "&". These have to be executed as an array, though, using Ctrl+Shift+Enter to calculate. For example, here's one of mine that matches two values from two different columns as the first Match statement (to define the row of Index), then a single Match criteria and range for the column-portion of index:

={IFERROR((INDEX($B$2:$AZ$5001,MATCH("Y"&$AA2,$I$2:$I$5001&$AA$2:$AA$5001,0),MATCH("Test EFT (h)",$B$1:$AZ$1,0))),"")}

The curly brackets get applied on execution.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jayeshw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back