Using offset function on a cell with a formula

bat18

Board Regular
I am trying to pick up a value using the offset formula. At present I have a formula in cell A1 as follows

=INDEX(INPUT!C8:V8,1,MATCH(INPUT!C4,INPUT!C7:V7,0))

In Cell B1 I want a formula that will pick up the value to the immediate right of whatever cell is being picked up in cell A1. So if cell A1 populates a result from cell D7 using the index formula above, in B1 I want the result from C7.

I've tried using offset but it hasn't produced any answers. Any help would be really appreciated

Thanks

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Why not use the same formula but modify the INDEX range from C8:V8 to D8:W8 ? (the MATCH would remain unchanged)

Upvote 0
That has produced the same value. It might be easier using a hlookup that would return the value just to the right of the one i want??

P1 P2 P3
5 7 -5

For example my first formula is trying to match a value for P3 (so it returns -5 in cell A1). But in cell B1 I want the value 7?? But I can't lookup for P2, I just need the previous value to the one I am looking up. Hope that made sense

Upvote 0
bat18 said:
In Cell B1 I want a formula that will pick up the value to the immediate right...
if cell A1 populates a result from cell D7 using the index formula above, in B1 I want the result from C7

I didn't read your post thoroughly - you said right but you meant left.

Simply change the INDEX range from C8:V8 to B8:U8 (as opposed to D8:W8 as previously advised)
(MATCH remains untouched)

OFFSET is volatile remember so if there's no great value in using it syntax wise (as is the case here) don't - would be my advice

Upvote 0
Cheers they both work but I'll take your advice about the volatility issues. Thanks again

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoonDancer

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back