#value error - I thought I understood the IF statement

jgold20

Board Regular
When I have the first line of code, the if statement works. When I add the second line, I get a #value error for all selections from the drop-down box. I do not understand what id wrong with the logic?

=IF(OR(A3="GE",A3="GEL",A3="SR",A3="SRL",A3="VIL",A3="VP"),IF(AND(B15>0,B15<200),"CF < 200","")) +
IF(OR(A3="B",A3="W"),IF(AND(B15>0,B15<286),"CF < 286",""))

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
That is because the last result of each part of your formulas could be "".
If anyone ( or both) of the two parts returns "" ( which is an empty text string) you get the VALUE error because you are adding a value to text or two texts together
Perhaps best to replace the "" with 0

Upvote 0
My understanding is that "" returns nothing (blank, no value). I changed it to 0 and still received the #value error.

When I just have the first if only, if there is no value (nothing is in the cell), it remains empty and no message is displayed. If the cell is 200 or >, no message is displayed. This is how it is supposed to work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My understanding is that "" returns nothing (blank, no value).

"" is not "blank", it is an empty string and so text. Put ="" in cell A1 and put in cell B1 =ISTEXT(A1) and see if you get TRUE or FALSE. Then in C1 put =ISBLANK(A1) and see if you also get TRUE or FALSE.

As for your question did you put 0 in the formula or "0"?

If the first then please post a sample of your data (please see my signature block for some links to ways of posting usable screenshots on the forum).

Upvote 0
=IF(OR(A3="GE",A3="GEL",A3="SR",A3="SRL",A3="VIL",A3="VP"),IF(AND(B15>0,B15<200),"CF < 200",0)) +
IF(OR(A3="B",A3="W"),IF(AND(B15>0,B15<286),"CF < 286",0))
Company Code
B

<colgroup><col width="111" style="width: 83pt;"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>
#VALUE!

<colgroup><col width="116" style="width: 87pt;"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
So what cells are they supposed to be? and there should be 3 cells at least (A3,B15 and seeing as you have posted the cell with the value error, that cell).

Upvote 0
Being A3 is B, where I have the #value ! it should say Cf < 286. I am testing the code in A3 and the value in b15 which I showed is number "5" with the IF statement being placed in B16 to show the result of the test

Upvote 0
That is working, however, when there is nothing in b15, I want B16 to be blank, not have a 0 in it. I placed "" instead of the 0, and it works. I have other values in a3 - GEL, BL, etc. and when they are selected, I am getting a message in B16 of FALSE. I would think it would not display anything.

Upvote 0
Excel Workbook
AB
3klo
Sheet3

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tommyarra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back