VBA code to compare and total values

ssddeell

I'm trying to create VBA code (or functions if possible) that will identify all matching entries in column A and then total the values in a range from columns B through E from the rows with the matching entries, and then continue on to the next set of matching entries in column A.

For example, the code would identify that the column A cells values A2, A3, and A4 match, total the values in range B2:E4, and enter the total in cell F2 (or F4). The code then would continue down column A identifying that cells A5 and A6 match, total the values in range B5:E6, and enter the total in cell F5 (or F6). And so on... The entries in column A will be sorted so like entries are always in order. See example below (the different colors are just for emphasis).

<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>
ABCDEF
1Company NameQuantity 1Quantity 2Quantity 3Quantity 4Total
2ABC

<tbody>
</tbody>
3ABC3
4ABC6
5EFG411
6EFG7
7RST319
8RST9
9RST5
10RST2
11UVW44
12XYZ55

<colgroup><col style="width: 123px"><col width="123"><col width="100"><col width="100"><col width="100"><col width="100"><col width="100"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Note: The values got a bit messed-up in row 2 in my example; cell B2 that has a "1 1" value should be blank.

Upvote 0
Here's one way to do it:

Code:
[B][COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR][/B] a1077148b[B]()[/B]
[I][COLOR=seagreen]'https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/1077148-vba-code-compare-total-values.html[/COLOR][/I]
[B][COLOR=Royalblue]Dim[/COLOR][/B] i [B][COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR=Royalblue]Long[/COLOR][/B][B],[/B] j [B][COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR=Royalblue]Long[/COLOR][/B][B],[/B] k [B][COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR=Royalblue]Long[/COLOR][/B][B],[/B] rr [B][COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR=Royalblue]Long[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=Royalblue]Dim[/COLOR][/B] va [B][COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR=Royalblue]Variant[/COLOR][/B][B],[/B] vb [B][COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR=Royalblue]Variant[/COLOR][/B]

rr [B]=[/B] Range[B]([/B][COLOR=brown]"A"[/COLOR] [B]&[/B] Rows.count[B]).[/B][B][COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR][/B][B]([/B]xlUp[B]).[/B]row [B]+[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B]
va [B]=[/B] Range[B]([/B][COLOR=brown]"A2:E"[/COLOR] [B]&[/B] rr[B])[/B]

[B][COLOR=Royalblue]ReDim[/COLOR][/B] vb[B]([/B][B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR=Royalblue]To[/COLOR][/B] UBound[B]([/B]va[B],[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B]),[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR=Royalblue]To[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B])[/B]

[B][COLOR=Royalblue]For[/COLOR][/B] i [B]=[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR=Royalblue]To[/COLOR][/B] UBound[B]([/B]va[B],[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B])[/B] [B]-[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B]
k [B]=[/B] i
        [B][COLOR=Royalblue]Do[/COLOR][/B]

[B][COLOR=Royalblue]For[/COLOR][/B] j [B]=[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]2[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR=Royalblue]To[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]5[/COLOR][/B]
                vb[B]([/B]k[B],[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B])[/B] [B]=[/B] vb[B]([/B]k[B],[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B])[/B] [B]+[/B] va[B]([/B]i[B],[/B] j[B])[/B]
            [B][COLOR=Royalblue]Next[/COLOR][/B] j
            i [B]=[/B] i [B]+[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B]
        [B][COLOR=Royalblue]Loop[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR=Royalblue]While[/COLOR][/B] UCase[B]([/B]Trim[B]([/B]va[B]([/B]i[B],[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B])))[/B] [B]=[/B] UCase[B]([/B]Trim[B]([/B]va[B]([/B]i [B]-[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B],[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B])))[/B]
i [B]=[/B] i [B]-[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=Royalblue]Next[/COLOR][/B] i
Range[B]([/B][COLOR=brown]"F2"[/COLOR][B]).[/B]Resize[B]([/B]UBound[B]([/B]vb[B],[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B]),[/B] [B][COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR][/B][B])[/B] [B]=[/B] vb
[B][COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR][/B]

Upvote 0
Thanks, I appreciate it. When I use the code, I get a type mismatch run-time error at the line vb(k, 1) = vb(k, 1) + va(i, j).

I looked over the code to try and fix, but I'm not familiar with much of it. I would attach the example file I'm using, but I do not have permission to attach files.

Upvote 0
How about

Excel 2013/2016
ABCDEFG
1Company NameQuantity 1Quantity 2Quantity 3Quantity 4
2ABC1ABC10
3ABC3EFG11
4ABC6RST19
5EFG4UVW4
6EFG7XYZ5
7RST3
8RST9
9RST5
10RST2
11UVW4
12XYZ5
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
G2=SUMPRODUCT((A$2:A$12=F2)*(B$2:E$12))
F2{=INDEX(A$2:A$12,MATCH(0,COUNTIF(F$1:F1,A$2:A$12),0))}
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I appreciate it. When I use the code, I get a type mismatch run-time error at the line vb(k, 1) = vb(k, 1) + va(i, j).

I looked over the code to try and fix, but I'm not familiar with much of it. I would attach the example file I'm using, but I do not have permission to attach files.

Maybe you got something that is not number in col B:E, could be a space.
Ok, try changing this line:

vb(k, 1) = vb(k, 1) + va(i, j)

to this:

If IsNumeric(va(i, j)) Then vb(k, 1) = vb(k, 1) + va(i, j)

Upvote 0
Thank you very much, great idea. I'm away from my PC at the moment and will give this a try. I need to use SUMPRODUCT more often.

Upvote 0
Any also thanks again for the follow-up on the VBA code. I may indeed have a space or other non-numeric value. I'll look for that typo as well as check out the new code. I do very much appreciate all responses.

Upvote 0
Re: VBA code to compare and total values- Resolved

Re the new line of VBA code, it now works great! I also checked to see if I had any non-numeric value(s), but could not find any, but again it now works great.

Re the formula approach, it works great as well. I actually prefer this approach for me personally as I can follow the logic and adjust easier. For example, I decided to total the quantity in each column rather than total the entire range. For me, this is very easy to do via a formula.

Anyway, again thanks to all.

Upvote 0
Re: VBA code to compare and total values- Resolved

Glad we could help & thanks for the feedback

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jest

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back