VBA code to lock a slicer or make it not visible?

codeliftsleep

Board Regular
Here is the dilemma I am running into.

I am designing a report that will be viewable by both managers and employees.

I have slicers attached to Employee, Level 1 Manager and Level 2 Manager fields that control all the pivot tables.

The issue is, once I run the code upon opening the workbook to determine who the user is and to set the slicers appropriately, I want to either:

A) Lock them CONDITIONALLY(which is where the problem is) or
B) Make them not visible.

For instance:

• A Level 2 manager should be able to make changes to the Level 1 manager and Employe slicer so they can look at people that report to them however they want.
  • A level 1 manager should only be able to make changes to the Employee slicer to see the people that report to them individually.
  • An employee should not be able to make ANY chanegs to the slicers, as they are only allowed to see their data.

However, I cannot find anything in code that will either allow me to lock the slicers or make them hidden. This is an issue because while I can always just lock the Manager 2 slicer once its set by protecting the sheet, I can't lock the level 1 or employee slicer because some people need to be able to change them if they want.

Is there a way to do this via VBA? I am using Excel 2013

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
The slicer object has a property for locked, but that's if the Worksheet is protected:

[FONT=&quot]True[/FONT][FONT=&quot] if the slicer is locked when the sheet is protected. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]False[/FONT][FONT=&quot] if the slicer can be modified when the sheet is protected. The default value is [/FONT][FONT=&quot]True[/FONT][FONT=&quot] .[/FONT]

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vba/excel-vba/articles/slicer-object-excel

Try adding and deleting them depending on the user? Or maybe on workbook open display an input box for the user to enter a code? Then add / delete depending on the value typed into the box...

I'll keep thinking and let you know if I think of something more elegant.

Upvote 0
Initially I got it working by setting the height property to 0 but this jacked up some of the slicers and they "disappeared" until I closed and reopened it and then they were out of place when I reset the height, so that wasn't a viable option.

I actually found the solution by recording a macro when I was looking at the selection pane and using the hide/show buttons

To hide/show all of the slicers on a page

for i = 0 to ActiveSheet.Shapes.Count
ActiveSheet.Shapes(i).Visible = msoFalse(or msoTrue to show)
next i

to do individual ones:

ActiveSheet.Shapes.Range(Array("Name")).Visible = msoFalse(msoTrue to show)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back