VBA - Looping through visible cells and updating value

dr4pes

Hello all,

I've just recently began playing around in Excel and I'm struggling to figure this out. I've tried several variations of what I copied below, but I believe my understanding to be flawed. What I need to do is first filter the data to only include adjustments (ending in U1, U2, etc.). I then perform a Vlookup comparing the adjustment to the original payment and changing the date on the adjustment (Column M) to the original pay date found in a separate workbook.

I've tried several attempts, but the following is my most recent attempt. I thought this would loop through the visible cells in column M starting at M2 to avoid the header row and update the value to the vlookup I have. But instead, this applies the macro to M1 only. Any help is appreciated.

A couple notes, the affected rows - some will be contiguous, some will not. The full data is usually around 1500 rows and the filtered data is around 100, but these numbers need to be dynamic.

Code:
Sub Macro()    Lastrow = ActiveSheet.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
    ActiveSheet.Range("$A$1:$W$" & Lastrow).AutoFilter Field:=5, Criteria1:="=*u*"
    For Each cell In Range("M2:M" & Lastrow).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible)
        cell.Value = "=VLOOKUP(LEFT(RC[-8],10),[export.XLSX]Sheet1!C1:C2,2,FALSE)"
    Next cell

End Sub

Additionally, I need to then copy and paste the affected cells as values afterwards, but I believe that to be a separate task.

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Try this (not tested)

- Use the .FormulaR1C1 property to apply a formula to a cell or range of cells.
- You can apply the formula to all the visible filtered cells en mas. No need to loop through each visible cell.
- The .Value = .Value line converts the formulas to their result.

Code:
[COLOR=darkblue]Sub[/COLOR] Macro()
    [COLOR=darkblue]Dim[/COLOR] LastRow [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Long[/COLOR]
    LastRow = ActiveSheet.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
    ActiveSheet.Range("$A$1:$W$" & LastRow).AutoFilter Field:=5, Criteria1:="=*u*"
    [COLOR=darkblue]With[/COLOR] Range("M2:M" & LastRow)
        .SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(LEFT(RC[-8],10),[export.XLSX]Sheet1!C1:C2,2,FALSE)"
        .Value = .Value [COLOR=green]'Replace formulas with results[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=darkblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]With[/COLOR]
    ActiveSheet.AutoFilterMode = [COLOR=darkblue]False[/COLOR] [COLOR=green]'turn off autofilter[/COLOR]
[COLOR=darkblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Sub[/COLOR]

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for your reply.

I tried your solution, and I'm getting the same result. It's applying the formula to the correct column, but it's only applying it to the header (M1). I copied the data into a different sheet in the same workbook and the results are the same.

Is the problem in the LastRow bit?
I added MsgBox (LastRow) after the LastRow declaration and it's returning "1".

That was it. I didn't fully understand the code I was using to calculate the lastrow. The first column is only a header so the last row of the first column is 1, I changed it to (rows.count, 13) and it's working now. Thank you so much for your help.

Upvote 0
Try
Code:
    LastRow= Cells.Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krishnamadison

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back