VBA Question: Copy from Workbook to Workbook, First Post on MrExcel forums!!!

NumberCruncher8

Hello everyone,

Let me just start out by saying that I love these forums and they have proved to be very useful over my college/intern career in the Finance world, so thank you guys for helping me out. This is my first post, I have decided that I will start giving back to those that need help (that I am able to help) if needed. However, I do have a question concerning VBA, I will give the scenario and my desired solutions + what I have been thinking about it. This actually burns a hole in my heart every day because I spend so much time in excel, it really is the most important thing in my entire life. Also, I am using Excel 2010, on Windows XP.

I would like to automate the following process in a VBA macro:

1. I input data into a worksheet in a master workbook
2. Upon completion of entering the data, I would like to create/use a macro that automatically copies that updated information from the master workbook to a separate workbook. In that separate workbook I would like pieces of that updated information to go into 3 different worksheets (Paste Destinations).

Please note that the data I wish to copy are rows or parts of a row, and the destination is also to a row as well on the separate workbook.
Ideally I would like it to just search if there's new data, if there is then just copy it to the other workbook/worksheet.

For those who consider my plea for help, thank you for your time, I really appreciate it. I think this macro would be very versatile and useful for a variety of situations.
Personally, I have been thinking about using If --> Istext/Isnumber expressions to detect the text, but really any help or suggestions would be appreciated. If needed, I can provide sample worksheets of data to show exactly what I am looking for.

Have a great night, and a wonderful Sunday everybody.

NumberCruncher

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
So do you just want a copy + paste macro?
You probably know this but if you copy worksheets without a specified destination, they will make a new workbook automatically.
If you just want to copy changes into your new workbook (while leaving out unchanged things) then that can probably be done...

Any examples you could provide would help.

Upvote 0
Yeah I just want a copy&paste macro, I don't actually want to create a new worksheet/workbook. My goal is just to copy updated inputs (rows) for the day from the Master Worksheet, to separate worksheets in a separate Workbook.
The following is an example to better illustrate what I need assistance with, with links to Google Docs:
This is the original data input updated daily, the masterworkbook, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AutLPy37yMY3dG1xTk1BT0s3dkRHeXZQTXVZS3BsWWc#gid=0 , I would like this to be the Copy destination for the matching columns in the SeperateWorkbook
This is the desired paste destination, Separateworkbook, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AutLPy37yMY3dFpZZjRWVl8yYWE1amZEX25UdEdYYVE#gid=0 where the macro takes the data from the masterworkbook and pastes it to the matching columns in the 3 SeparateWorksheets.

For example, lets just say that the master worksheet were updated daily, and I just needed to run the macro the macro to copy it to the seperate workbook's seperate worksheets (every day). This would save a lot of time manually updating the Separate Worksheets by copying and pasting over and over.

I can send the actual files, or get in contact with anyone if needed or would like to discuss these solutions.

Thanks a bunch for your help!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For further clarity, the goal would be to run the macro after updating the masterworkbook (daily), which would transfer the new data added to masterworkbook to separate workbook and its respective separate worksheets. This would save a ton of time manually copying/pasting from the masterworkbook to separateworksheets.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sebas8956

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back